Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Thanks to all, named or un-named, who have responded.

Todd:
1) The lady shooter is not THE significant other. She is a family friend, who once was a competitive skeet shooter, and probably would shoot guns again if one fit. There have been changes with aging, but is still a very active outdoors-lady.
2) Not low risk as I see it. My inexpert visual check of the gun came up with no problems, but definitely a higher condition Trojan than I have been seeing offered. However, my looking only goes so-far. What lurks below? If usability and monetary value rests primarily on barrel soundness, why risk injury with over-honed bores; or with excessive or misaligned chamber or forcing cone lengthening?
3) The owner did not object to a professional on-site inspection, just to my taking it away for a couple days for my smith to look at, with payment in full up-front.
4) AMFYOYO? Need acronym decoder. Is it risqué?

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. The value of family friend that happens to be a neat sporting lady could be immeasurable value and how much that weighs in is a tough choice that sounds like your struggling with. Don't know your marital status and it really does not matter. People assume significance of another as a term that is non committal to some sort of romantic involvement according to pop culture. I think it is a miss used term to some extent. Now if you would have said a lady friend with benefits, yea well. Personally have had close professional relationships with some women that had significance in my life but since married would never cross that line. Your reasons are your own and I think it great that you might consider buying a gun that you see some benefit for yourself and could maybe let a friend use, that happens to be as described a neat lady. But again if gun was just for you then you probably would not have posed the question or even mentioned her.

Buyer beware and you sound like someone that knows their limitations and that is cool. I agree with sentiment trust but verify and seller is not being lenient on a verification issue for you. Is that a red flag, I don't know but he is being cautious as well and to him that sounds like a legitimate reason based on his painful experience. Definitely does not sound like he is giving you any type of consideration for taking gun to someone in your process that you know and trust. I don't think he is being a jerk necessarily but it doesn't sound like he knows you enough outside of meeting about this gun transaction to give blanket trust. If you can't find a gunsmith close by that can give you both comfort and satisfaction then it might not be worth the hassle as others have also stated.

Others have also suggested it might be at the top of the range of value for a Trojan and maybe even a premium. Without seeing gun that is speculation but it could be spot on point. However gun could have set in someones glass cased gun cabinet that got years of sun exposure, that might have faded the case coloring on bottom of receiver as well as someone that carried that gun over his arm more than they shot it. You did not mention any story behind it.

Your first post partly framed they guy as being a jerk or at least uncompromising and maybe he is. If you think he is then my subliminal unspoken term is AMFYOYO = Adios Mother Franker Your On Your Own.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Without seeing gun that is speculation but it could be spot on point. However gun could have set in someones glass cased gun cabinet that got years of sun exposure, that might have faded the case coloring on bottom of receiver as well as someone that carried that gun over his arm more than they shot it.
I spoke with Oscar Gaddy years ago and he told me that sunlight will not dull case colors.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #23
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I spoke with Oscar Gaddy years ago and he told me that sunlight will not dull case colors.
Really. So Dr. Gaddy says UV rays from sunlight will not degrade case coloring. The man new his stuff. So the only way case colors are lost I take it is by wear or some caustic chemical. I assume this is only for the traditional bone, leather, and charcoal method and not the cyanide process?
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #24
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I had Parker exposed to direct sunlight over a period of time. I thought it had diminished the color so I asked Oscar. He gave me the scientific reason why it wasn't so. I've long since forgot the detail. I didn't ask him about the cyanide process but I would imagine it holds true for that also
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote