Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Unread 10-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,393 Times in 682 Posts

Default WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Late night think piece

-- Was offered a 16-gauge, #1-framed Trojan; 28-inch bbls; f/m chokes; estimated at circa 13 3/4-inch length of pull; price: $1,800
-- Would like another 16 (does not two back-ups for one hunting trip make sense?)
-- Condition possibly all original, as per my inexpert eye; maybe re-blacked barrels; 25% case color remaining; (no photos to show);
-- Checks out with serialization book
-- Lady shooter friend mounted it and said it felt JUST RIGHT for her -- in contrast with her mounting my father’s 1-framed 28-inch VH 16 with 14 ¼ inch length of pull; (gun would presumably fit me OK with butt-pad)
-- Barrels rang a little lower frequency than my other two 16s; but another man present, who should know, said they sounded good to him; no apparent dents in barrels; some scuffs on wood; silvered trigger plate, as per gun that has been hunted with. Overall, moderately used but not abused.
-- Owner said he would NOT ALLOW an inspection period, as he once had a bad experience with that (swapped parts)
-- Re-grouped for a day and then submitted to the owner an appeal (a “strategery”) for my being able to have the gun inspected; good reasons why in this case he should feel comfortable deviating from his “no inspection” policy; cited name and qualifications of my smith for the inspection, our common interests, obvious rapport, etc.
-- Owner STILL said “no” to an inspection
-- Thanked him for the quick response to my offer, and have attempted to go on with my life. Is not the hunt 90% of the fun?
-- Now am ruminating on how I never learned to operate a Hosford gauge nor seriously considered buying one, thus thinking about the adjurations of… Sensei Bill, was it?; heck, what legitimate seller would not offer a two-day inspection?; I’m no serious high-end collector anyway, so do I really have a use for a Hosford gauge? (now I know the answers to those questions).
-- What would you do?
Unread 10-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

I would move along to the next one.
Unread 10-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ditto on principle if seller would not allow gunsmith to view gun even in his presence that you both know. However there are lots of old guns bought and sold with no problems without a hosford gauge being involved. You indicated that there were no glaring issues and everything looks worn correctly and lightly used so what makes you think you need a hosford gauge. It sounds low risk to me.

I think on this one like most purchases involving even moderate conspicuous consumption, mind justifies the heart and ultimately it depends on the significance of lady friend shooter. Good luck with that decision. BTW post pictures of gun when you get the chance. Just kidding.

My guess is if that was not even a slight consideration you would have moved on without second thoughts if gun was just for you. I call these AMFYOYO moments if indeed gun for you is only consideration. However, the gun fits her and your justification is that it could be a back up to back up another gun, which may be well worth it. Have heard of back up guns having issues on big trips. If you like shooting old guns, they sometimes have issues and leave you hanging so having many options is my justification. Other justification for you is that with that shorter stock that could be your cold weather gun to account for when your all bundled up with a heavy coat that shorter stock will fit nicely.

Seller has basically indicated he doesn't need to sell it based on his - my price and my terms posture but that short stock could cause him problem. It is still a needs based negotiation though. Rarely in a fairly common commodity does a seller or buyer get both sides of the equation.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 10-10-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

There will be others. If seller is a jerk, it is best to move on
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post

-- Owner STILL said “no” to an inspection
and then you say no to a purchase

i have not paid a lot of attention to Trojan prices lately but the price on this does not sound like such a great deal that makes putting up with this guy necessary
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

No inspection, no deal. Totally unreasonable by todays standards. I would look for another.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Dont worry, there are others out there at that price. Maybe even one that has an uncut stock.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

That’s high end price for a Trojan 16, I don’t quibble over a few hundred bucks if the gun is just right, however refusal to allow inspections is a flag.

Willam
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Always a good rule of thumb ,No Inspection Period ,No Purchase ! And even with a return policy you have to be careful ,I bought a DH Grade from a seller with a return policy and when I received the gun it had just too many issues for me and I sent it back the day I got it and notified him it was in the mail on its way back and he refused to give me my money back once he got the gun back until the gun resold as he claimed he had already paid the consignor ! It ended up in quite a mess ,I reported him to Gun Broker and did eventually get my money back !The gun resold the next auction ,I am not sure if that was why I received my money or because of my dispute to be honest !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

I agree...no inspection, no deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!