Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
So, Randy, no pictures of the gun? It sounds like like a really nice one.
No problem Garry. Retrieving the pics reminded me that I need to upgrade my photos of this gun. Also I have a nice 2 barrel case for it that would make for some good pics. When I got this one the wood had been refinished decently and the metal was void of any color at all so I elected to finish the restoration and sent it off to Gunter Pfrommer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NID (1).JPG (182.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg NID (2).JPG (310.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg NID (3).JPG (274.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NID (4).JPG (210.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NID (5).JPG (249.6 KB, 2 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This one is for Mr. Noreen as it would be the one he is most interested in. Said in a complimentary manner mind you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NID (6).JPG (219.4 KB, 12 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,082 Posts

Thanks, Randy! I still say that grade-for-grade, Ithaca had some of the nicest wood on their guns.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #14
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have owned them all and still own 2 Flues, 2 Lewis, and one Crass. My 20 gauge Flues field grade with 30 inch barrels I bought from a member here and it is one of my favorite walk up hunting guns. 5lbs 10 oz, factory bored cyl and full. My next is a 1 1/2 grade Flues 16 ga with 28 in bbls bored mod and full that shoots cyl and IC patterns with spreader loads. A little heavier at 6 lbs 10 oz. My next is a Lewis field grade 16 ga with 26 in bbls bored IC and Mod at 5 lbs. 15 oz. Little too much drop at heel on that one at 3 inches, but I can hit with it if I pay attention to keeping my head up.

I have two others that were restocked to my dimensions, a 12 ga Lewis 2 barrel set and a 12 ga Crass Gr. 2 that I had Kearcher and Pfrommer restore. It is a beautiful gun but weighs 8 lbs 4 oz and is too heavy for me to enjoy in the field. I sold a 1935 NID that was too heavy for my taste and a 1906 Minier that had 3 1/4 inches drop and I couldnt shoot, but had a beautiful chain damascus barrel in original finish. All of the guns have their own merits and faults. The engraving on the Grade 2 Crass is nicer by far than most Grade 2 Parkers , and the Flues actions are so simple that I was able to pull the sears and recut them on a jig to restore 3 1/2 lb trigger pulls to what were hair triggers. I am not noted for my gunsmithing skills otherwise.

The Crass and Lewis and Minier models are all about the same except for coil mainsprings in the Minier. Less complicated than Parkers but not super easy to work on like the Flues. I have one more I forgot, a Grade 1 S Crass that needs restoration but has the sweetest lines of any of them, forend with a simple swale and a half-pistol grip on the buttstock, and engraving without a lot of coverage on the sides, but a beautiful floorplate rosette much larger and prettier to my mind than any Grade 1 Parker.

All That said, they are fun to collect, hard to find in decent shape except for the higher grades at higher prices, and generally not particularly attractive in the field grades. Parkers, even in the OV grade, are much better made and assembled than the Ithacas I've handled. As Dewey Vicknair says, they are a "farm implement" pretty much.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2021, 04:59 AM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poindexter View Post

All That said, they are fun to collect, hard to find in decent shape except for the higher grades at higher prices, and generally not particularly attractive in the field grades. Parkers, even in the OV grade, are much better made and assembled than the Ithacas I've handled. As Dewey Vicknair says, they are a "farm implement" pretty much.
I agree it seems that every pre NID I have seen, especially Crass, Minier and Lewis were tired, beat and loose. I have only owned one Ithaca and it's 10ga Crass. They don't come any more plain then a grade 1P. I found this one attractive because it had a lot of condition, decent dimensions, on the light side for a 10 and was under $500. The only significant flaw was a broken screw in the top tang which I had repaired, it didn't cost much but I waited a long time to get it back. It shoots well, it's patterns are nothing to get excited about, 60+ and 70+ percent but overall it works very well with 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 ounce loads. It's definitely not a Parker but it's been a good shooter for a fraction of the cost and I am happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0225191503.jpg (510.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0225191505a.jpg (502.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 0225191504b.jpg (511.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201120_132121.jpg (521.2 KB, 1 views)
Unread 01-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Thank you Randy. Ithaca barrel flats aren't usually the interesting read many Parker barrel flats are.

I just realized my 12-gauge No. 4E Skeet Gun is the gun just before Randy's.

No. 461815 --

461815 03 Ithaca NID Grade 4E 12-gauge Skeet Gun.jpg

461815 06.jpg

461815 07.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
This one is for Mr. Noreen as it would be the one he is most interested in. Said in a complimentary manner mind you.
Do you know what the "plus" or "cross" sign markings are for? I have those on my 1938 G2 16ga NID...... Never have read what they meant....
Unread 01-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #18
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

One other question, looks like the "weep holes" for lack of better term on underside of barrels have screws in them? Neither of my NID's have that, or is that just my eyes not seeing the pics too good.....
Unread 01-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #19
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Thank you Randy. Ithaca barrel flats aren't usually the interesting read many Parker barrel flats are.

I just realized my 12-gauge No. 4E Skeet Gun is the gun just before Randy's.

No. 461815 --
Attachment 92491
How cool is that ? If you were trying in earnest to find that serial numbered gun just below or above one you have it would probably never happen. As usual you have a keen eye Dave, good spot.
Unread 01-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
One other question, looks like the "weep holes" for lack of better term on underside of barrels have screws in them? Neither of my NID's have that, or is that just my eyes not seeing the pics too good.....
You are seeing it correctly Joe. Surely an aftermarket embellishment that possibly was an attempt to seal the weep holes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post: