Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 01-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, it's a 3.5" chambered gun but the lighter loads are more plentiful in the short ten and came here due to the vast info and knowledge of the short ten to serve my purpose. I realize the sp10 is by far the most popular wad and I have no problem with using it. I just know the BPI wads are cheaper and cost savings while reloading is a plus.
Ryan Keirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #12
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Also,that load that calls for the 0.135 cards... all I am finding is 20 gauge 1/8" cards but that comes out to 0.125".
Ryan Keirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Keirl For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
Also,that load that calls for the 0.135 cards... all I am finding is 20 gauge 1/8" cards but that comes out to 0.125".
I have come to prefer the fiber filler wads, 16ga sold by BPI. The nitro cards are designed to be over the powder cards and they are hard and unforgiving as filler wads. If you have the shot column at the exact right height they work great, but if it's just slightly tall it can cause a problem with buckled hulls. The fiber filler wads have some give to prevent this. In addition the 1/2 inch wads can be split to whatever size you need with a thumbnail. They do provide some confetti when the gun goes off LOL.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
I have come to prefer the fiber filler wads, 16ga sold by BPI. They do provide some confetti when the gun goes off LOL.
I shoot confetti loads and find them comforting as I do the reassuring push of recoil!

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,387 Times in 1,644 Posts

I have been loading 10ga 2 7/8" 1 1/8oz loads for a number of years now. I have always used Federal hulls until recently. I switched to Remington due to the plastic base versus the fiber base in the Federal hulls. I was concerned about the fiber base shooting out after repeated reloads. Anyhow, the Remington hulls are very consistent and I get a perfect crimp every time. I use two .070 overshot cards and one .125 fiber wad in the bottom of a SP-10 wad. I use the load published by S Bell. Does the Cheddite hull have a plastic or fiber base??
I have question for you guys using a wildcat load with red dot powder---why wouldn't you send 3 shells to T Armburst for testing just to confirm it is an appropriate load for the vintage short ten guns? The peace of mind would be worth the $15.00 to me.
Also, I reload only 7625 in 10 gauge and have never had cold weather bloopers and I live in western NY state (think cold and snow!!). I wonder if some reloaders experience cold weather bloopers from a weak crimp as a result of worn out hulls??
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I have question for you guys using a wildcat load with red dot powder---why wouldn't you send 3 shells to T Armburst for testing just to confirm it is an appropriate load for the vintage short ten guns? The peace of mind would be worth the $15.00 to me.
Also, I reload only 7625 in 10 gauge and have never had cold weather bloopers and I live in western NY state (think cold and snow!!). I wonder if some reloaders experience cold weather bloopers from a weak crimp as a result of worn out hulls??
I inquired a couple of years ago about doing that, from what I can recall Tom wanted 6 shells, 1 to disassemble and analyze and 5 to shoot a string at $5 a shot. The issue for me was you can't ship ammunition via USPS. You can ship it via UPS using an ORM-D label. I don't think there is a hazmat fee but there may be. My UPS shipping/receiving center (you can't use the stores) seems to have people that are either nervous about or don't like anything gun related. They me gave such a hard time about shipping just a muzzle-loader I had sold, I walked out and took it to the Post Office. Anybody here sent stuff to Tom to be tested? As far as a piece of mind, 19 grains of Red Dot works great, I have no qualms.
Unread 01-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have sent several loads to Tom Armburst. I have only ever sent 3 shells and my recipe. Tom suggested FedEx ground and I have never had a problem. I have developed a few 10ga bismuth loads and felt the cost was worth it to me. Anyhow I think I will load some red dot and send them to Tom since 7625 has been discontinued. Thanks Craig
Unread 01-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I have sent several loads to Tom Armburst. I have only ever sent 3 shells and my recipe. Tom suggested FedEx ground and I have never had a problem. I have developed a few 10ga bismuth loads and felt the cost was worth it to me. Anyhow I think I will load some red dot and send them to Tom since 7625 has been discontinued. Thanks Craig
Craig, do you go to the FedEx shipping center to ship the shells? All I see around here is their trucks and mail boxes where you leave stuff for them. Is there a hazmat fee, ORM-D labeling etc with FedEx?
Unread 01-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tom has told me put three shells in a corrugated box well packed and take them to a FedEx store and ship them ground. That's what I have done a number of times. No questions from the shipping clerk. Craig
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #20
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Years back I shipped a couple of shells - don't remember how - think it was the post office. I don't remember there being a problem. Tell them it's " just a small item that punches holes in paper ".
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!