Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

All right. That answers my question. Nice guns too, by the way. Actually, I was referring to the wide variety of prices of Parkers in general. I had not seen any 8 gauges for sale, until just now.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

theres some cheaper ones out there...may not look as good as these but wouldbe shooters...and old english made 8 ga makes a good shooter and will not cost what a parker does but i do like the parker the best... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

I had a windfall recently to where I could have bought one of the less pricey "English best" guns, but decided I would rather have Parkers. Something about them being American made.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I had a windfall recently to where I could have bought one of the less pricey "English best" guns, but decided I would rather have Parkers. Something about them being American made.
My first double was a W.W. Greener I still have . Then I got hung up on Parker's and Fox guns .
Now I'm kinda open to Parker's , Fox's , english guns , some of the german guns , Remington or Krieghoff 32's and Browning Superposed .

Heck I have and old Ithaca 10 gauge we've owned for about 35 years and never fired . This one has fluid steel barrels and has been redone when my pop first bought it . Think this week it'll get a go on the trap range for fun !

A Parker 8 gauge and 10 gauge are high on my want list . However I'd like both to be hammerless .

Incidently with Parker 8's which are more rare ? Exposed hammer guns or hammerless ?
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Craig the information you seek is in The Parker Story, but it is not compiled in one paragraph. You have to either add up all the eights in the Grades section or separate the hammer from the hammerless in the list of eights in the Appendix.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

There are a few loaded and some NPE 8-gauge shells in the now running Wards Auction. I believe I noted both a 5 dram 1 1/2 ounce and a 5 1/2 dram 1 3/4 ounce Arrow shells in the auction.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i seen these too but im like destrey i want the 2 ounce or 2 1/4....im looking at the 4 bores....but thr 8 ga trat load empty box is the prize in my book.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've collected or accumulated a few shotshells over the last 30-40 years . And while I have a couple 8 gauge shells (both industrtial) . The center piece of my shell collection would have to be the two unopened boxes of Winchester "Repeater" 28 gauge !

Second would have to be the opened and almost full box of REM/UMC Nitro Club 28 gauge !

And last but not least a full but opened box of Winchester "Repeater" 20 gauge !

I have singles of the Winchester Repeater in 12 and 16 gauge along with some Winchester "Nublack" 10 gauge . But I always thought full unopened boxes were the neatest !
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #29
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Incidently , I've owned the three boxes of 28's for about 25 years . And I just noticed something tonight I wasn't aware of !

The Winchester boxes are not the same shot size as I had always assumed they were !

Even though something may be in front of your face in plain view for many many years one can almost always learn or discover something new that had been available to them for years !
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

They are wonderful boxes. 28 gauge stuff is so rare. When I was released from military service in 1969, I returned home and immediately started haunting the local gun stores. I visited "The Sportsman" in Bethesda, Maryland. My first "find" was a minty cased Westley Richards bar in wood eight gauge with two unopened boxes of Remington Arrow 1 3/4 ounce loads, one BB and one #2 enclosed in the original trunk case. I succumbed to the offer to sell the shells for about what I paid for the gun. I accepted $500 for the two boxes of shells from a midwest ammo collector. What a mistake that was. I wish I had those two boxes of shells today. I have had a chance to buy another similar box within the past ten years, but did not take advantage. I have also seen a full wood case of these shells advertised in a collectors publication, but they were sold when I responded to the ad. I have never seen such an item for sale since, even an empty wood box.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote