Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Identify this Parker Hammer
Unread 10-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Dylan Salvatore
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Identify this Parker Hammer

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have something that I wanted to share with you. It is an older Parker made in 1890 by the serial number with external hammers. It is a 12 Gauge, frame size 1, and the barrels are marked "Stub Twist." It is fully functional with no damage other than use wear and patina, the bores are clean and barrels have not been cut down. I was wondering if anyone might be able to identify the Grade of the gun and any other information about it, as well as an approximate value or if it is desirable for a collector. Anything you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. See pictures of the gun below. If anything else, hopefully I gave a few people something interesting to look at.
Thanks to everyone.

Dylan Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

the serial number lists in the book as Stub twist- lower grade should have 30 inch barrels

looks to be a 0 grade gun - looks to be in decent condition. nice pattern on the barrels

more of a shooter than a collector piece assuming the inside of the barrels are as good
Unread 10-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

I agree with Rick in that Stub Twist and Twist Steel were only used on the lowest grades.

I'm surprised that the wood is even checkered.

Beautiful even pattern in the barrels. Looks to be a good shooter for sure.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

It looks pretty well preserved.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Dylan Salvatore
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the reply from both of you. If I were to decide to shoot it as it has twice been described as being a good "shooter" what would I need to know before I do so in order to be safe? I've always heard the "never shoot a damascus barrel gun" stories.

Also, if anyone would like to offer up an approximation of monetary value I would appreciate it. If it was something you guys saw somewhere to buy what would you want to pay for it? I would like to have some baseline before I determine this gun's future. Feel free to just throw a number out, I am not holding anyone to anything!

Thanks again.
Unread 10-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

being a shooter will depend on the condition of the barrels- how bad is the pitting in the bores

If you say - shinny and no pitting - then i start thinking they have been "cleaned up" meaning honed-

in either case- the next thing you should know is the wall thickness - if they were honed - how much meat is left in there- in most cases - if you are not experienced with them and don't have the tools- determining if it is safe to shoot is best left to an experienced double gun gunsmith- not your local gun shops fix it man.

also - what is the chamber length- most were short chambered 2 1/2 or 2 5/8s for 12's, i go with light loads as much for the aged wood as the metal

horror stories about shooting composite barrels abound- mostly someone knows someone who heard from someone that someone else's barrels burst-

low pressure loads are available form companies such as RST if you do not reload
Unread 10-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dylon if you tell us what city and state your in there may be a member that could look at your gun and give you advise. As for value (with out having gun in hand) It looks like $600.00 to $900.00 if the barrels check out.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

I agree with Wayne on value. I purchased a similar gun a little while back for $800.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Overall the gun looks to be good and sound and all there. It has some condition remaning, namely the amount of barrel finish and case still left on the frame. But, it does have some condition issues. Mostly it looks to have some pretty bad rust problems on the forward left side of the frame.

This is the type of gun, as others have said, that people look for as a shooter. One that is sound and has some condition. Not beat to death. If bores are very good, it is realistically around a $1,000 gun. Not much more.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Dylan Salvatore
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you so much for the helpful input everyone. If at any point anyone would like to add anything, I'm all ears.