Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

NO LEAD, NO POWDER AVAILABLE
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Default NO LEAD, NO POWDER AVAILABLE

I just stopped at my local dealer and it seems the ammo shortage has now spilled over into shotgun reloading components. According to this dealer no bagged lead shot will be available in the next 3 months minimum. The distributor told him their backorders are in the millions of pounds. No common target powders, 700x, Red Dot, Green Dot, etc are available, no information regarding when they will be available again. Wads and some primer brands remain available, Win 209's primers were still available but the dealer said he feels it is a case of who knows for how long.

I find it hard to believe hoarding has reached this level given the millions of factory and reloaded shotgun target ammunition is expended each year.

When I got home I checked several on-line distributors, Ballistic Products, Precision Reloading and Gamaliel for powder availability, again all common target powders are out of stock.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Pete,
It is almost impossible to get anything right now for pistol or shot shell reloading. Fortunately I had stocked up with my shot shell supplies before it got too crazy. I have over 2k shells loaded and enough materials for another 4k. I hope by the time Deb and I burn up these rounds things will be more readily available once again. I have pistol primers on backorder till June but I'm not holding my breath on that delivery.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have quite a bit on hand as well but it's very easy for me to go through 4K shotgun shells on targets and another 1500+ plus on crows in a year.

It is unsettling that we don't know how long the shortage will last. I would give up the clay pigeon shooting if I have to so as to extend my ammo supply for hunting. The situation is not good, it seems it will surely impact participation in organized and recreational shooting this year across the country.
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Finding primers anywhere local for me has been near impossible. And most outlets online are out too. The ones that have any charge a hazmat fee for handling.

This is an odd one... Ballistic products has 209 primers and they charge a $25 fee for primers and power if shipped by ground or air. But... They will ship primed hulls by ground with no fee. Can't figure that out.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just returned from the Kittery Trading Post, a large dealer/retailer in the shooting sports in New England. There I found a few bags of shot priced at $49.99. They have no idea when more will come in. Powders for reloading were very scarce, very little was available for shotgun target shells, no Red Dot, Clay Dot, 700X etc. A few 1lb bottles of Green Dot and SR7625 were available, limit 2lbs per customer. A few Fed 209A primers were there in loose 100 packs. Same with CCI 209 Magnum primers. There was big pile of Win 209 primers in 1000 packs for 45.99.

I also spoke to one of the long time managers in the shooting sports department. He informed me the information he has been given by those in the industry is the lack of availability and shortage of ammunition and reloading supplies will persist for the next 22 to 26 months.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

RST's online ordering system was down today and when I called I got the answering machine. I will try again, but hope they have not been affected as well
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Paul Stafford III
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Supplies here in Michigan are non existent. Luckily, our gun club has a decent supply but even they had to put a limit on purchase amounts. If you dont have it now it will be tough to shoot the summer into fall.

Last edited by Paul Stafford; 03-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Paul Stafford is online now   Reply With Quote
Recovered shot?
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Default Recovered shot?

At those prices for shot, how long can it be before they start recovering shot from skeet and trap fields? I've used it in the past when available and wish it was again.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Paul Stafford III
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We had some reclaim here a few months ago but it sold quick!
Paul Stafford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I talked to a friend who could get shot at $42/bag. I'm on a E-Mail notification from two mail order places for Sr7625 and H4895 in 8lb cans. I bought two 1ld cans of 7625 just to have it for 16ga shells.

Pete one of the local sporting goods stores had some of the powders you mentioned. PM me your cell phone and when I get up that way if they have them I can pick you up some and bring it to Hausmanns.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote