Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Gun stock blues
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Bill Crowden
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unhappy Gun stock blues

I bought a 12ga. DH from Cabela's with a cracked stock thinking i could get it repaired at a reasonable cost--wrong. At someones suggestion i contacted Dave Wolf in Waco, Tx. I bought the wood, which had been aged for 6 years, and he did a great job of restocking the gun. I took it Kansas for a pheasant hunt in Nov. and ended up only shooting it 3 times. Again at someones advice i bought Hevi-Shot vintage shells so as to not put to much pressure on my 100 year old gun. I came home from Kansas, with no pheasants, cleaned the gun and put it in a paded gun case unnder the bed. When i pulled it out this morning to do some late season quail the stock was totally broken in half at the wrist. The gun has not been dropped or even scratched and i noted no prooblems with the stock when i cleaned the gun, infact i didn't need to do anything but wipe down sthe stock since it had not even gotten dirty in Kansas. So i now have a beautiful DH with two broken stocks---and that my friends is called the gun stocks blues. Bill
Bill Crowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill, I feel your pain. About any stock can be fixed so the repair is unnoticeable. If I where sending it out for repair I would be checking into getting the origanal fixed as well it would add value to your gun.
Bob
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Maybe a suggestion here?
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Maybe a suggestion here?

I have had two first-rate stock repair experiences in past 2 & 1/2 years, both with my good friend, master gunsmith and PGCA member, Brad Bachelder in Grand rapids, MI. I won't name names, I'll let the other gentlemen who are members here who have had their Parkers worked on by Brad speak as to the excellent of ALL his gun work--

I bought a 12 no. 2 frame size GHE receiver and matching forearm with working ejectors, and had Brad find a pg buttstock, also a set of 28" Vulcan steel ejector barrels and he build me the best pheasant over pointing dogs double gun I own- He also repaired the pg of my son-in-law's prized possesion, gun wise- an older Browning A-Bolt in .270 Win- as Jeff is a Southpaw, a replacement stock was not available, Brad repaired it and you can't even see the hairline fracture. A .270 BA rifle does not develop the felt recoil of the same weight rifle in .300 Win mag- yet it cracked last Nov. in our deer stand when Jeff bumped it with his boot. Wood does strange things over time and weather-

Contact Brad Bachelder at bachelderfirearm@aol.com, he is open Tuesdays through Fridays 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (1000 hrs to 1700 hrs) EST at this number- 1-616-4593636.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,188 Times in 12,368 Posts

Bill, is this the thread you're looking for?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I would be sending the gun to Dave Wolf. Not only might he be able to pin down the cause of the fracture, he is a whiz at repairing broken stocks. May be one of the best.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote