Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

What do shooter quality damascus/laminate etc lower grade hammer parkers go for?
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default What do shooter quality damascus/laminate etc lower grade hammer parkers go for?

I am thoroughly enjoying my knew parker VH 12 gauge. Refinishing the stock has been a learning experience but very fun.

Unfortunately it has lead to a disease that I first encountered with colt revolvers. After you buy one it isn't very long before you start thinking about getting your next one. When I bought this one, I had thought about looking for a Fox or maybe an old english double, but after looking at prices/rarity and viewing some of the lovely damascus hammer guns on this forum, I am becoming very interested in a damascus hammer parker.

Unfortunately I have no clue what you should budget and save to acquire one of these fine guns. I have read lots of comments that they can be gotten for less money then hammerless steel parkers, but I am not certain that is accurate. I definitely don't expect to stumble across any $95 guns as one lucky soul on this forum did.

I love the patterns in most of the guns I have seen on here, not even sure I can afford one, but I would like some reference on where to start. I will continue reading through the forum but was curious if someone could give me some info.

Also, any info on what to watch out for on hammered damascus barrels vs. hammerless parkers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill Holcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Bill,

Do yourself a favor and watch, read, participate and learn. All wanting to collect Parkers need to obtain and read The Parker Story. During this time save up for that special Parker, Fox, or English double.

Price depends on condition, condition, condition of a collectable double. If it isn't collectable then it isn't deirable and the price will be low such as for a Baker shotgun. Bakers are good guns but there are very few collectors thus they do not command as high a price as a parker.

For Parkers, A.H. Fox's and other collectable guns the configuration has much to do with their collectability. The smallbore guns command a higher price than do a 12 gauge because:
1. There were less smallbore guns made and therefore fewer available.
2. Doublegun collectors tend ot be older men who overall do not enjoy carrying a 8 to 10 pound gun afield or even on the sporting clays range.

The configurations that are rare if all else is equal command the highest collectors' prices.

I collect long barreled 12 gauge and most 10 gauge gauge doubles. The 10's are less expensive that the smaller 12's, all else being equal. That stated, for 8 gauge Parkers relatively few were made and most were used for waterfowling in foul weather. Very few survive and thus command a high price if one can find them for sale.

After a few months of study you will be ready to spend your hard earned and saved gun money! Oh, seek out a couple mentors who you can call to discuss the value of a potential purchase.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 07-16-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I fully into to continue studying and researching this site and TPS. I was just wondering what shooter grade Damascus Hammer gun parkers usually go for, easier to save for the gun when you have a rough estimate what it will take to get it.
Bill Holcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
Thanks for the reply. I fully into to continue studying and researching this site and TPS. I was just wondering what shooter grade Damascus Hammer gun parkers usually go for, easier to save for the gun when you have a rough estimate what it will take to get it.
Bill,

How much does a compact car sell for? Hmmm, what specifically does the buyer want?

It's the same with a gun. A Parker Lifter or Top Action shooter quality may sell for $1000 in 10 gauge but its just a shooter (low condition, poorly redone, needs some work...), in a big bore for which one needs to handload, and will have a lot of drop in the stock.

A nice Grade 3 Top Action in 12 gauge in collectable condition, i.e. one can get their money back if they ever want to sell it because the gauge, configuration, and condition are desirable, may sell for $4000 or more! Okay, you stated "shooter so maybe you can find a lower grade in 12 gauge for $1500 to $2000. Maybe you can find one ofr $1000 but be careful!

Please heed my last post and in a few months you will thank me!

Best of luck no matter which path you take,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Plenty of things like the grade of gun, gauge and configuration will effect price and availability. If you are talking 12g hammer gun in a 0 grade or grade 1, you can expect to spend around $1,000 for a sound shooter with no mechanical issues. And I am talking hunter quality.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

I purchased a 12 ga 0 grade lifter made in 1878 on GunsAmerica not too long ago. It has 28" barrels that have just light frost internally. The barrels had been cut but the tubes still touched. No choke left. Had good dimensions over a vintage recoil pad. Stock is solid and gun locks up tight. Gun is aesthetically pleasing to look at. It was priced at $850 but was able to buy it for $650 shipped.
Just look hard, and everywhere. There have been some good deals available in the "Parkers for sale" forum on this site recently.
Good luck. You will really enjoy shooting a hammer Parker!
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post: