Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

paper hulls
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default paper hulls

hi guys I purchased some new , primed paper hulls from ballistic products last week , I cant say how much I like them ,12 ga. 2 3/4 in . I got a thousand at .15 cents a piece there sold in bags of 100 , I trimmed some to 2 1/2 in and loaded them with 7/8 oz of #8 they shoot great so I ordered a thousand more so get them while the getting is good. if you check there web site from time to time you may be able to get 16 and 20 ga hulls too
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

what loading info do you use, and what pressure results?

are they the same as federal papers, so far I have been lucky getting those used fairly cheap.

but when you figure in these are primed - and not used, that adds to the savings on materials

I cut and roll crimp them so I am not counting on many loads. I'd be interested to hear how many you can get out of these.
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I haven't reloaded any yet. I am using AA feather lite #22 mec powder bushing and ballistics products wad part # 072src , inside dimensions are similar to the STS hulls I normally use
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

How much powder ? Different powder charges can be thrown by different people using the same bushing, so telling us what bushing you're using isn't much help. Paper shells after a couple of reloads will get burn holes just above the brass and should be discarded. They are fun to shoot and look cool with a roll crimp. I like to use paper wads also.
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

how ya doing mr. harm ... my #22 mec powder bushing throws between 12 and 12.2 grains of AA LITE every time. I like paper wads also but do you know anyone who makes them. it takes me a lot of time to make them. in 2 3/4 in shells I load 15.0 grains with a 3/4 oz of #9 shot for skeet, using the AA lite. say are we going to have a SxS shoot this winter
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul, you can get paper wads from www.circlefly.com - just tell Craig what you're loading and he'll be glad to help. I get the 1/2" thick cushion wads - they're easy to split in case you need to make up a different thickness, like 3/4". That and a .125 over powder wad, and a .028 over shot card. Your wad is for a 1oz load, but I didn't see in BP's description if it was for a straight walled hull. Is that hull you bought straight walled ? When I use plastic wads I like to use a shorter wad in the 2 1/2" shell. I use Claybuster wads [ which are way cheaper than BP's wads ] and use the CB-3118-12AR , which is a 1 1/8oz wad and load 7/8oz of shot in it. Because of it's lower cushion area, it loads very nice. About the winter shoot. If I thought there would be enough interest I'd have one. Have to wait and see.
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul, we buy wholesale so our price is a bit cheaper. I see Precision reloading [ www.precisionreloading.com ] has Claybuster wads and they're $9.99 for 500 where as the BP's wads are $7.89 for 250. BP's items I feel are way over priced. Precision usually carries the same product for less.
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

hi paul....the wads I am using in the paper hulls I shorten to 2.5 in. part # 072src are a non taper design they are with in a couple of thou. of inch from top to bottom. in 2 3/4 in. hulls I use clay buster wad part #cb1100-12 , I normally load 7/8 oz in this wad but when I use STS plastic hulls I load 1oz of shot in the same wad. I don't shoot the 1oz much any more . I practice mostly with clay buster #cb0175-12 with 15 grans of AA LITE in modern guns I shoot in skeet tourneys . I am starting to load black powder , what do think would be a nice starting point with these paper hulls?
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

You may already know, but use only paper wads when loading BP because the plastic wads will melt in your barrel leaving a mess. A nice light load is 1oz of shot with 70grs of 3F. Back when I liked to feel the " push " of a BP load [ and liked to scare my friends who had no idea that I was shooting BP ] I'd load 94grs of 2F and 1 1/8oz of shot. Because of the cost of BP, I quit doing it. There's 7000grs in a pound, and at 70grs per shot you get 100 loads per pound. Because 3F burns faster than 2F, you can use less and get the same results.
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you need BP, Grafs has it the cheapest, I think. They're at www.grafs.com - their reenactor powder only 11.95 - the 2 or 3F is 15.95 a pound. Last time I bought it , I got 20lbs to help with the haz mat fee of $27. That spread it out to a little over a buck a pound. Don't know what the " reenactor " powder is, first time I saw it. Maybe give them a call and find out.