Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 02-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That gun looks like it has more than enough drop for anyone who isn't a human-giraffe cross. Can't imagine needing that thingy at the breech...and I like more drop than most shooters. My Ithaca 1-1/2 Flues has 3" DAH and fits me just peachy. My 28" VH20 is the same and I can't seem to miss with it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #32
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Fred and Dean, I am thinking Marbles. They produced/ sold many shooting aids back in the day. If you could locate one of their catalogs that may be a help.
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lowe View Post
This gun will never see factory loads again.
I do load some 5/8 oz. 28's.
Do you use Unique for the 1/2 oz load?
I will be putting Spred-r inserts into the shells that go through this, as I believe it is choked full/full.

The barrel flats are each stamped 4/4 which I believe is four quarters choke as 1/4 would be one quarter choke, 2/4 would be half choke and 3/4 would be three quarter choke. The actual constriction is .0016" in each tube and the chokes begin about 2 1/2" back from the muzzles.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #34
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

[QUOTE=Steve Cambria;160807] It's a false rib, emitting a similar sight picture as a full vent version.

Right Steve - that's what I suggested in my initial post and that it would raise the POI of the shot charge.
I don't however, agree that it was done by a tinkerer. Until it is proved otherwise I'm sticking with the 'factory installation' for the simple reason that is is matted exactly like the barrel rib.
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Agree Tool Man. It's probably an aid to sighting similar in function to the V found at the breach end of a Parker vent rib. But again, if your eye height above the stock is not changed up or down, and the muzzle end of the rib or front sight is not moved up or down, then your POI will not change no matter what device you add to the rib. This assumes that the height of that device still allows you to see the front bead. If you can't see it and have to lift your head (eye), then the gun will shoot a higher POI.

BTW, you haven't aged a bit!

Chuck.... you're a dedicated trap shooter, I know. And as such, you adhere to the proscribed tenets of what must be done in trap shooting to be a consistently successful shooter.... and one of those tenets is to keep your cheekbone pressed to the comb. And a dedicated trap gun has pretty straight dimensions - in any case, a lot straighter than this little gun.
This 28 gauge Ithaca wasn't made to be a trap gun - it was made as a game gun - an upland gun most likely. In those days a hunter would most likely have kept his head more erect and would, upon the flush, have brought the gun up to his line of sight - - - and that's the point of this little device - to more precisely direct his line of sight with the front bead a bit more elevated than the breech end of the barrel rib.

I don't know how I can explain it any better than that.
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
I agree with Big D. As long as your eye position doesn't change (rear sight) and the rib and front bead (front sight) has not changed in height, the POI will not change. The device looks like an aid to improve the sighting plane.

Dean, when cheeking the gun with a normal head position, could you still see the front sight?

No Chuck, not with that device... it blocks my vision... I have to lift my cheek up a tad off the comb.
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #37
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

you ll always get a discussion on this gun with that little gadget still attached but if taken off it will just be another lite weight....if it were mine it would stay on...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

If it's good enough for Joe Kautsky, it's good enough for me. The "Gold Hearts Gun" has two enormous gold balls mounted left and right at the breech. It's quite an interesting sight picture. I believe they are pictured in Austin Hogan's article on the gun in Parker Pages.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #39
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill does the two big sites help you...i mite try this on the 8 ga slug gun..i could make a slip on 2 sited thingy...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Good idea Charlie - you already have the slip-on thingy that came with the gun - just braze on a pair of sighting beads.