Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

OT: The Duck Hunter's Book
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default OT: The Duck Hunter's Book

I was at the local Borders book store doing some Christams shopping and ran a cross a book " The Duck Hunter's Book" by Lamar Underwood.

I was wondering if anyone had read this book and if it was a worthwhile read?

Derrick
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is a compliation by Lamar of old waterfowling stories. He has some more like the "Quail Hunter's Book" It certainly is a good selection of stories some of which are difficult to find elsewhere. I've shot with Lamar at the Nassau Gun Club a number of times and as you would expect he is a real student of sporting literature as well a quite the senior sportsman himself.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Kaas For Your Post:
Very Worthwhile- also his companion book about quail
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Very Worthwhile- also his companion book about quail

Derrick- my daughters gave me both The Duck Hunters Book and its companion volume, The Bobwhite Quail Book about 25 years ago for Xmas--Both companion books were first published in 1980, only one printing to the best of my knowlege- most likely scarce by now.

I consider those two great anthologies as with my Ray P. Holland series: Hunting in the Lowlands and Hunting in the Uplands- beyond price, sentiment of the gifting nonwithstanding

In the Duck Hunters Book you will read: Van Campen Heilner, Nash Buckingham, Robert Ruark, Ted trueblood, Gene Hill, Jimmy Robinson and other greats- visit the Delta marsh in Canada in 1955 with Clark Gable, etc. And the quail book is equally great, many of the same names as in the Duck book plus Havilah Babcock, Archibald Rutledge and others.

Unless the dealer wants a King's Ransom, or unless the book has been abused, I would recommend you buy it-and enjoy a good read with a glass of Dickel on the rocks of an evening- or two!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Actually it was a new copy and the price was $21.95. I just didn't want to buy the book and it not be a good read. I'll head to the store after shooting clays today and instead of a glass of Dickel I crack open the fifth of Knob Creek that I got for Christmas from a co-worker.
Wow- I gotta move down to Dixie-
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Wow- I gotta move down to Dixie-

I never tell another gentleman how or where to spend his $, but that price, if the book is Mint or near Mint- is a steal. And Knob Creek and George Dickel and Maker's Mark will always be welcome in my tumbler- rocks- water back please- Have a safe New Year's and don't blister your trigger finger writing the check to BUY THAT GREAT BOOK- Suh!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The other two anthologies by Lamar Underwood are Hunting the Southlands and The Deer Book. They are all good reads and were published by Amwell Press out of Clinton, NJ. These were released in limited editions of 1000 copies for The National Sporting Fraternity and in trade editions.

I have the trade editions as at the time was uanble to afford the limited editions. You will not be dissapointed with your purchase.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Dick Miller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Derrick,
Your post reminded me that I have #581 of 1000 of "The Bobwhite Quail Book" that I ordered from "Doc" Shoffstall, the illustrator for the book, at a waterfowl festival in VA Beach. Don and I were Brittany fans at the time, and he kindly did signed pencil sketches of Brits throughout my copy. He also did a signed study of black ducks on a frozen salt marsh for me, and is one of my prized possessions.
Thanks for your post-- I'm going to spend the evening re-reading the book !
Dick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Miller For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

Dick, I had no idea that you could request pencil sketches at a book signing. I am going to be number one bitch at my next book signing. I gave you a big thank you for your suggestion.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

So Bill are you going to ask Destry to do some pencil sketches whenever he finishes his book?

Dick, I am glad I reminded you about the book. Was it only published in limited editions? Sounds like a nice read especially for a kid born and raised in NC. I sit and think about the first flush every year (unexpected) and how it made the heart race and the excietment felt as they got up and flew away. Boy those were the days...
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Dick Miller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,
As I recall both Doc and I were "primed" at the cocktail party for exhibitors and he volunteered to do the sketches before the book was shipped to me. True to his word there are several sketches throughout the book, all with personal notes underneath. Doc could put away some bourbon !
Derrick,
The first issue (which I have) was limited to 1000 copies and is leather bound and in a cardboard sleeve. I remember I paid an obscene amount for it, but I don't remember how much.
Dick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote