Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-14-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

A nice looking day out! Glad to see you are at least finding a few birds. Kansas has been hot and dry. I found a few pheasants but not many. The Watson Bros. 28 gauge looks nice. Is it proofed for 2 3/4" shells?

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 2,013 Posts

Prospecting is a good term. Back in the 80's and early 90's, there was no Sunday hunting in Ohio. I would often take the dogs, but no gun, and "prospect" new grouse covers, particularly in the Wayne National Forest. Found some good ones that way.
Unread 12-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Prospecting is a good term. Back in the 80's and early 90's, there was no Sunday hunting in Ohio. I would often take the dogs, but no gun, and "prospect" new grouse covers, particularly in the Wayne National Forest. Found some good ones that way.
Harold, It's a shame we did not bump into each other then. I, too, was wandering the Wayne NF during the same time frame, mostly over our university class breaks in Nov. and Dec., but also in late February. I really miss hunting in Ohio. I know we've communicated about this before, but every time the subject comes up, I get nostalgic.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

A nice looking day out! Glad to see you are at least finding a few birds. Kansas has been hot and dry. I found a few pheasants but not many. The Watson Bros. 28 gauge looks nice. Is it proofed for 2 3/4" shells?

Ken
Hey, Ken, I'll get a photo of the barrel flats and post them for you. The chambers measure 2 1/2" by my gauge, and I'm shooting 5/8 oz. RSTs out of the gun. It's choked open (.005) and tight (.029). The right choke is perfect for the covey rise. I've yet to use the left barrel. I wonder how long that will last.

So how's that red and black brace working for you? It's tough trying to bring a pup along without birds. Good luck for the remainder of your season. Some moisture (but not too much) and cooler temperatures would help us both.
Unread 12-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #15
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Red terror is working out well. She pointed a rooster last Thursday and that dude ran all over the place. The downside--I shot the bird, she went over picked up, and decided she would go in the opposite direction. Oh well, we need more practice. Stayed home today because of the high winds (lost a nice pine tree--luckily only the fence was damaged). Headed out early tomorrow for a few days. The farmers I talked to are saying it is a tough year.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Hill; 12-15-2021 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Added Picture
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
The Red terror is working out well. She pointed a rooster last Thursday and that dude ran all over the place. The downside--I shot the bird, she went over picked up, and decided she would go in the opposite direction. Oh well, we need more practice. Stayed home today because of the high winds (lost a nice pine tree--luckily only the fence was damaged). Headed out early tomorrow for a few days. The farmers I talked to are saying it is a tough year.

Ken

Ken, what a handsome brace! I hope you find some more birds after this front has passed. I assume you got some moisture?

We are in the middle of the storm line right now. We also had to cut a downed tree in order to get out of the drive. It got to 76 degrees today. I dread going out in the morning to see what this wind has done. I hope we make it through the night.

I think of all the critters that are weathering this monster storm tonight.

I hope your coming hunts are good ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: