Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

New Gun, Looking to learn about it
Unread 12-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Forrest Chadwick
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Gun, Looking to learn about it

Hey guys I recently took the plunge into the world of Parker Brothers shotguns on a deal locally listed to me that was too good to pass up. It's a beater by many of the standards I see here but it should make a good shooter.

Here is what I know about it;

It's a Parker 12 Gauge Hammer Gun.
Serial # 50552
Frame Size - 2
Grade - 1
Laminated Steel Barrels

The downside of the gun is the wood is pretty well beat. The stock is showing some fractures/cracks around the wrist area and a major chip off the butt. I included some pictures to show.

I'm wondering the value of the gun as it sits judging by the pictures and is this gun something that is worth refurbishing or would it be best as a wall hanger? It has no sentimental value to me. Not sure if I overpaid but I'm a sucker for older sxs shotguns. Thanks in advance guys and can't wait to learn about this gun.

Parker 1.jpg

Parker2.jpg

Parker3.jpg

Parker4.jpg

Parker5.jpg

Parker6.jpg

Parker7.jpg

Parker8.jpg

Parker9.jpg

Parker10.jpg

Parker11.jpg

Parker12.jpg

Parker13.jpg

Parker14.jpg

Parker15.jpg

Parker16.jpg

Parker17.jpg
Forrest Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,235 Times in 441 Posts

Forrest,
well you are in the right place to be a "sucker for old doubles". The key for this one is what shape the barrels are in. The stock is salvageable if the barrels are ok and the gun on face. Find a smith to check the barrels for wall thickness and condition before doing anything else, then decide how to proceed. Enjoy the addiction!
Unread 12-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,011 Times in 396 Posts

Well, I just spent over an hour off and on typing a response about my current experience with a stock like this, and due to a timeout I lost it all. so I'll give you the quick opinion.

The barrel condition is absolutely the first thing to check. Bore and wall thickness along with internal condition. If there is enough metal to fix any problems and be safe, you are good.

The metal looks pretty good actually, and with some deep cleaning and carding of the barrels, you should be good to go for a decent looking shooter.

I am not as positive about the stock as the other comment above. I have been working on a stock like this for a week or two and have been frustrated at every turn. Unless you have incredible luck, I will bet that the head of the stock is completely oil soaked. In a gun this old, that means the wood is likely punky and weak. Even if you can completely deoil the wood,it has no strength after gluing; the wood will be much weaker than the glue. This is the problem I have been fighting recently, and I am only trying to make a pattern stock.

I have been working with gunstocks and multiple kinds of stringed instruments over the last 4 decades. The pictures above show three breaks, not cracks, across the grain in the weakest area of the stock and one older crack that has been glued and pinned with a brass rod.

Breaks are much more serious than cracks in weakened wood. I have repaired them in boxlocks because the wood is generally thicker than a sidelock and a dowel can be glued in longitudenly and carry the recoil force. The sidelocks plus internal cuts generally leave you with 4 very thin sections which are too small for this.

The stock may be salvageable but I don't think a simple glue and pin is the answer. If it were mine I would tru to deoil, glue with the breaks meshed as perfectly as possible then remove enough wood at the bottom of the sidelock inlets to allow laying a acouple of layers of carbon fiber beded in epoxy.

As far as full restorations, if you have a complete restoration done professionally, the price will generally run $4000 to $5000 if a new stock is involved. This would include barrels, case color and new stockwork along with with any mechanical refurbishing needed.

I have been really following the low end market on auction boards, and my impression is that in the composite barrel guns, if it is well used with either stock or barrel issues, the opening will be in the $600-900 dollar range. With both issues. They are essentially not sellable. If the barrels are decent and the stock not too bad, the opening will be around$1000. A solid gun that looks over the hill will list around 1200 opening. Of all these guns, only about 20 to 25% sell at these numbers. Just my observation.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Boy if that old gun could talk.
Unread 12-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

The value of the gun as it sits is, as the poster said, zero. However, if it were mine, I would be looking for someone to work on those cracks. I think they are fixable.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,011 Times in 396 Posts

I hadn't noticed that the gun had what I call the "Always Left of Center" top lever.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

I think with lots of work from you and patence and some luck you can return it to shooting again with not lots of money in it....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

The gun looks to be plenty salvageable. The best course of action would be to clean and repair what is damaged and make it sound and functional. Leaving it cosmetically very similar to how it appears now, maybe a touch better.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

Forest, if you have experience making the repairs that are suggested above then go for it. If not and you are committed to shooting it, then send it out have have it professionally restored.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with Dudley. Looks like some really nice wood is there too
Keith Sirmans is offline   Reply With Quote