Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Wenig gunstocks
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Mike Phelps
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Wenig gunstocks

Does anyone have any familiarity with wenig? Do their machined stocks fit all years well?

I was thinking that if their pattern was based on a later parker, such as some of the remington made ones, it may not fit as well.

My gun was at Vicknairs and is being returned and i need to have it restocked as well a bit of other mine work completed. I've gotten a quote from a referral by Dewey and have an estimate (on just restocking) from Clint Meier using a Wenig machined stock. The difference between the two is about $800.

The referral from Dewey would be custom fit from a blank. Clint would be using the Wenig stock which I would pay to have patterned off of my existing stock.
Mike Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have quite a few Wenig stocks. Most of them are off of a duplicator. I had 1 vh 20 restocked with a pre cut pattern stock and fitted by a Pro. and it turned out awesome. I have had over six duplicated and would recommend that, but I have not fitted one myself. Hope this helps Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I do not know if you are looking to have your original stock duplicated, of if you are looking to purchase a duplicated stock off the shelf. But, one of the things to watch out for with Parker's and other makes of guns that were hand fitted, is that every one is different. I have found that there is not much interchangeability. Also, the original dimensions of a gun will effect now the tangs are bent, thus making some guns tricky to get brought up to modern dimensions.
When I duplicate a stock on my machine, I find it always easier to work from the original stoc. If I use an on- hand pattern, I sometimes have to build in certain safety factors when duplicating.
Buying an off the shelf duplicated stock is much different if we are talking about a Stevens 311 or savage 99 since they are very consistent, which allows for more of a drop in fit.

My opinions are only based in my working with what my machine turns out.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mike:
It is indeed the TANG BEND that determines how a double can be stocked. And altering that can get the average Joe into big trouble. Best to send the whole gun to Wenig's with a spec of what you'd like... then they can can do what's possible -- and within a reasonable budget. Perhaps leave the finishing to you...

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

If your going to use a duplicated stock make sure that they pattern it after your ORIGINAL stock. I have had a couple of guns restocked but have always gone with the custom work from a blank. Its more expensive but the fit is exact both inside and out.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wenig uses a Hoenig pantograph and you need to use your original stock or one that has been fitted up to your gun for a pattern. Wenig bought the Hoenig from my late friends estate and I helped load it up when they came to get it.George Hoenig did 2 rifles for me and I can tell you that the inletting was perfect.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

What Mr Dudley says is very sound advice/ information.

Best of luck in your choice and your project.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Mike Phelps
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all of the comments, this has been very helpful.

I would send Wenig my stock to have it duplicated.

Does anyone know how the inletting is done? I was thinking it's done using a jig, so if even if my stock was duplicated, if the inletting was done based on another gun, it may not fit properly.

I'm not planning on finishing it myself. I've done some woodworking and refinished a couple of my garands, i just don't think I have the skillset to do it right the first time and get it to match my forend which I luckily don't have to replace.
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

If they are using the Hoenig to make your stock they would need your gun for a perfect fit. They glass bed your stock until it is perfectly fit and make any modifications you want to the master and then machine off of that. They can leave extra wood if they are not using your perfected stock for a pattern.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Mike Phelps
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Robert.

Basically I was looking at prices from one guy to do all of the work compared to another using CGM to finish a Wenig stock that was patterned off of my gun.

My thinking was that although Wenig would duplicate my stock, the 95% machining would be done using their existing jig unless I paid them for a custom fit. I was concerned that their jig may not match well up with my receiver.