Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Curiouser and Curiouser
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Curiouser and Curiouser

Interesting observations with no answers:

1. On a typical moment , by my count, we will have 125 viewers on the website. Of that , 35 will be forum members. Of the forum members, 25 will be PGCA members and 10 not. We have 1100 PGCA members.

2. We have some forum members who are not PGCA members who have hundreds of posts over many months, even years. They mention buying guns and participating in activities that cost much more than the price of membership. Whatsup? Do we ( I ) have bad breath?

3. We can have good photos of an excellent and seldom seen Parker, which might generate 200-300 hits with maybe 4 remarks . We can have poor photos of a poor condition bottom or entry level gun that was inherited or purchased at low cost and it will generate 500 hits and 10 remarks, for example. Does that mean that the forum readership is more interested in one than the other?

Bruce Day, Parker know nothing and life member since 6 am.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Bruce,

I have noticed many PCGA members posting recently whose aname and posts I have not seen before. Some are probably persons who recently joined our fine organization. Others are older members who post infrequently. Regardless, it is good to see the participation!

To those Parker members who have here since Remington was making the last of our guns, thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge with us new guys. That is what is so special about the PGCA. Members may be new to the PGCA but they are still afforded respect from the older members.

If you are not a member of the PGCA please consider joining. Your annual dues will help keep this site of shared knowledge and the Parker Pages magazine (so much more than a news letter) alive and well!

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Bruce, I can smell your breath from here. Try doing something about that. lol.

This community is great! The best yet, in my opinion. And more should participate or at least join. It is worth the money, all the way!
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Bruce ,To your question ,whats up ,In just my own opinion ,I believe there is a bit of an intimidation factor or learning curve here ,where folks look at the Rare gun or Seldom Seen gun and realize their knowledge is limited so they sit back and wait to see what the more experienced fellow has to say and in a short while someone else posts and we all sort of move on ! With that said ,the folks who have been with us long enough know and understand ,there is never a stupid question ,Parker guns are and always will be a learning experience ,how many times has any one of us said to ourselves and others " Never say Never ! Take my C Grade 20 for example ,that gun has so many unique features for a C Grade ,the odd checkering style ,but with the correct markings on the stock to prove it is correct ,the Small Beaver Tail Checkered as per the stock checkering and numbered correctly ,then we have the Barrel wedge engraving !!! You more experienced Gentlemen had no problem going through the gun and sorting it out and we all very much enjoyed it as I recall ,but a newer member or a less experienced person ,would have just stood back and wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or worse yet sound " stupid " , and probably wouldn't have ever voiced an opinion ! I think as has always been posted ,we have a great thing going here and the benefits far out weigh the cost ! Again ,just my opinion for whatever that's worth , and once the newer collector / shooter /hunter gets more comfortable with his own knowledge ,we will get more folks participating ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

My own personal belief is that every member here..from the long time PGCA member to the newcomer is just as important. What good is knowledge if its not freely shared? If the newcomer be it the fellow that just inherited a gun or a guy that just owns one Parker is treated with respect and has his questions answered honestly and politely then the desire to join the PGCA becomes more attractive.There will always be the gent that comes to us with questions has them answered and goes away but that I think is because his/her level of interest is far less than ours. But so be it..we are here to provide a service.That being said..the benefits of being a member far outweigh the $40.00 annual fee. It just boils down to how much interest an individual has in the Parker Gun and the Charles Parker Co.
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Fine Mr.Day,you got me...I'll join in the new year when "season" go's quite,I've got four Parker's now ,so I geuss I can be called a collector
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
We are here to provide a service.That being said..the benefits of being a PGCA member far outweigh the $40.00 annual fee..
You can say that again Dave!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bruce, you got up early oh good points
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Thanks guys, good responses. Not a single foolish response, but all thoughtful and well meaning. I know we have our tire kickers but maybe they will get tired of being wannabes and make the jump. We don't bite.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: