Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

AH Upgrade?
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Default AH Upgrade?

I respectfully request help from the Parker guys who have have seen it all and done it all...

The Parker records list #66248 as a D2 or GH 12 gauge with Damascus barrels made in 1891. The gun today is an AH upgrade, or at least I think so. It has Acme Steel on the top rib with a strange style of type, a grade 6 on the watertable, beautiful engraving, and shoots like a dream!

This looks like an upgrade but by who? Could it have been done during the Remington era which might explain the funny lettering on the rib?

Here are are a few photos with many more in the album at this link:
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=294

Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

Mark,
Though I do not have a ton of experience to comment on this, I will share jut a few observations. We know it is an upgrade, so that is not in question. But just a few things about the work. The upgraded grade stamps on the watertable are larger than the original serial number stamping, which I would think to be incorrect. The cross-hatched finish on the water table is also sub-par. I have seen this finish treatment on an original parker and it is of much higher quality than this one. The hatching is not even or uniform, wheras original Parker would have been perfect or darn near it.
Also, not only does the top rib lettering look off, but do does the pattern on the rip itself. Looks very inconsistent and just plain off around the lettering.
Unread 12-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Interesting? This is what I can tell you based on comparison to my AHs of the 1890s.

The frame sides is typical of late 1890s AH. I say this because the scroll work is not as fine as engraving of early 1890s and more like my 1898 AH. What is not typical of the period in the chain link boarder on the frame sides. They are more like a C grades engraving. The AH had a scroll boarder. I don't believe this was done at Remington because I have never seen a later Parker or Rem Parker with this style engraving. It was done, IMHO, earlier at Parker or by an engraving who really understood how Parker originally did it.

The checkering is typical of early 1890s. After 1895 or so the checkering on butt became more elaborate. I'm impressed that the panel has the beveled edge typical of the early
AHs. Later there was no bevel at times and the panel boarder was much wider. If you had
only showed me the butt, I'd say it was from an AH or BH made prior to 1895.

The barrel is obviously not 1891 but is probably a Parker upgrade. Engaging on TG is not
typical AH of 1891. The four I have of 1890-1 all have dogs. Looks like C grade engraving
to me. Fences also not typical AH engraving which usually has birds. Again looks like C
grade.

With all that said, I'd get a letter. You might find it is an AH. It's not completely typical
but it doesn't mean it's not an AH. No way I think it's a Rem upgrade.

Take this for what it's worth from someone who is far from an expert. But I have seen my share of 1890s AHs. I would really be interested in what a letter might say.

Best, Ray

PS Mr Dudley's observations about the water table are right on when compared to my guns.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

The only part of your Parker that I would consider to be not original parker are the barrels... likely to be Belgian replacements for the original Damascus barrels. I have seen several Belgian replacement barrels with ribs and breech wedges done in the same manner. The rest of it, aside from the cyanide colors, looks to be original early AH to me. I wouldn't put much stock in the size of the grade number and letter on the water table being of a different size... it all looks like Parker Bros work to me, excepting those items I've already pointed out.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

What does the PGCA letter say?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

I have to agree with Ray. Looks a lot like the work on several of my C grades.Nice gun that I would be happy to own it if it was priced right. Enjoy it for what it is
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your evaluations.

Dean,

The barrels have the purple hue of nickel steel barrels so we know they are not Parker originals.

Bill,

I ordered a letter on my AH and the Research Committee was kind enough to inform me that both references listed the gun as a Grade 2. I was asked if I still wanted a letter and I elected to shift the $40 fee to letter another gun.

So, the LC Smith association discusses "Lunch Box Specials" that workers built and often upgraded on their own. Has anyone seen any Parkers like that?
Or, with the Parker engraving and cyanide case hardening could this be a DelGrego upgrade?

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Gents,

I just got smacked across the head by Captain Obvious! I hate it when he does that...

The clear-eyed Captain informed me that the chain engraving on the barrels matches that of the action and the top lever.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well whoever did it did a heck of a job on the engraving to make it look correct
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i think maybe youll always wonder what you have..one thing that is for sure its a very nice gun... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote