Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New member/New (to me) Parker needs a few basics
Unread 02-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
EdwardEngarto
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member/New (to me) Parker needs a few basics

1. Is it safe to breakdown my gun with tension relieved on the hammer springs by pulling the triggers on snap caps and then, without cocking the gun again, removing the forend and then opening and separating the gun?

2. Does anyone know the metallurgical details of the variously named steels (Acme, Vulcan, Peerless, Titanic…) used for barrels other than the very basic info found in the various books on the gun? As a metallurgist myself this is naturally very interesting to me.

3. My top lever has a small amount of rotational play in it and is sitting a few degrees to the right. Am I correct in thinking that as the locking bolt wears in and seats itself further forward, that this play will be taken up? Beyond that then the lever will start to settle further and further to the left once this small amount of play just mentioned is removed through wear at the contact area with the barrel lug?

4. When Small Game is over down here I would like to consider sending the gun off for a complete strip, clean, inspect, oil and reassemble. Who is around that folks here know how to properly work on these guns, including possibly opening up my chokes?

Thanks fokls,
EdwardEngarto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EdwardEngarto For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,196 Times in 12,369 Posts

Hello Edward, and welcome!

First, a hammerless Parker can be dry-fired even without snap caps with no damage whatsoever to the gun. It’s the way the gun was designed.

There has been considerable research done and published on Parker barrel steels, one such study was conducted and written about in Parker Pages by Dave Suponski several years ago. And there have been others. Another excellent source of barrel information has been and continues to be researched and published by Rev. Dr. Drew Hause and he will very likely post valuable information to this thread.

Top levers and bolts and how they wear can be addressed by PGCA Member Brian Dudley here on this thread.

Where do you live Edward?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
EdwardEngarto
Forum Associate

Member Info

Past and future home was/will be Pa but my career has taken me to North Carolina for the present.
EdwardEngarto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EdwardEngarto For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

wow - what an intelligent and thoughtful post to introduce oneself with

Welcome Edward

you can find Dave's article on barrel steel in the digital archives of all issues of the Parker Pages ( there will be many more articles in there a metallurgist might enjoy ) the archives are available to members in members only section

the top lever begins life to the right - so that is good - wear will result in its moving to the left. that wear can be caused by abuse such as slamming the gun shut or i suppose lots of dirt.

please check the recommended gunsmith thread to find someone near you for a cleaning.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...light=gunsmith
Unread 02-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Welcome aboard Edward. Concerning your search for a gunsmith go to the Parker home page, click on the Parker FAQ's (left tree, near the bottom), the very first topic you will see concerns gunsmiths that these folks have used and would recommend for various services. With a little reading I would think you would find someone near you. Also once you are in the correct thread you will be able to search within that thread specifically so for instance you might search your State or the specific service you are seeking to have completed. Best of luck to you Sir !
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,196 Times in 12,369 Posts

Regarding the Parker Pages Digital Archive - It is available only to PGCA Members, not Forum Associates and is copyright protected in every way - every page of every issue.

Having said that, it is an extremely valuable resource that you will find yourself going to and reading so often!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Regarding the Parker Pages Digital Archive - It is available only to PGCA Members, not Forum Associates and is copyright protected in every way - every page of every issue.

Having said that, it is an extremely valuable resource that you will find yourself going to and reading so often!

The archive makes for great travel reading. Recently sat on an airplane for 10 hours each coming and going, glad to have it to read.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

one more very good reason to become a member - sorry for the confusion
Unread 02-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Welcome Edward! The others here give good advice. I hope you will consider joining PGCA. There is a ton of information out there to learn
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Welcome. Regarding take down. If your gun is an ejector one ( meaning it through s the shell out) take it apart cocked or the ejectors will be difficult to reset and must be done before the forearm can be installed.
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ED J, MORGAN For Your Post: