Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I had sporterized 1903 from G&H that was chambered in 7x57 and one from Sedgley chambered in 30-06, both fitted with Lyman 48’s, neither were drilled/tapped for scopes. Sporterized 1903’s should be standard issue to any rifle enthusiast although some question the safety of Springfield actions in certain ranges of serial numbers. Regardless it’s hard to beat the utilitarian nature of a sporterized Springfield in 30-06.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

Sedgley guns were more utilitarian in appearance than G&H, but very nice guns. G&H had the attention of lots of gentleman out for a stroll at lunch, and I suspect many were bought and never shot.
My favorite G&H was a .22 Hornet built from an M2. My all time favorite Springfield was built by Bob Owen*, and letting it go was yet another indication I had screws loose.
I have a National Match '03 and G&H look alike 22 Hornet now. They will have to do.

Belding & Mull made a beautiful bolt mounted peep site and I held on to one forever, thinking the right gun to put it on would come along. All the was required to mount was to unscrew the cocking piece on, and replace it with B&M sight. In the end, I think I sold it at Baltimore for more than what I would pay for a gun to put it on.

*Bob Owen, AKA RG Owen, ran the custom shop at Winchester for many years. He was a skilled gunsmith, whose work in wood and metal were beyond reproach.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #23
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I grew up with a G & H .30-06 Mauser with a set trigger, Schnable FE, solid matted rib, folding sights for 80 and 175 yds, shadow cheekpiece. A nice light carbine. What a straight shooting gun that is. My brother has it now.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

The Griffin and Howe side mount was a great invention. There was a trap door in the metal buttplate where the Lyman 48 could be stored when using the scope. The two levers on the side mount locked a scope firmly in place returned the scope to zero. A perfect combination. My 7x57 was not fitted with a side-mount so I had to rely on the peep. Much better than irons with aging eyes, but pretty limiting in typical hunting conditions.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #25
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I grew up with a G & H .30-06 Mauser with a set trigger, Schnable FE, solid matted rib, folding sights for 80 and 175 yds, shadow cheekpiece. A nice light carbine. What a straight shooting gun that is. My brother has it now.
Rich, Griffin's Mauser actioned rifles were every bit as beautiful as their Springfield based guns. Most of the "Heavy" guns were built with '98 actions.
It's a personal preference for me that Springfields get my heart racing. Kinda a Ford vs Chevy sort of thing.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:

Tags
gun identification, rifle