Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Blooding Another Parker
Unread 12-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Blooding Another Parker

As I've posted before, I believe that the first shots you fire from a new-to-you gun are very special. All of my guns are purchased with hunting in mind and I try to make the first shot from them memorable. When game falls from that first shot, it's all that much more special as I feel I'm connecting with the history of the gun and its previous caretakers.

Yesterday dawned sunny with light winds and temperatures cool enough to be comfortable walking the fields of a farm that generally holds multiple coveys of quail and that I'd reserved for the blooding of a new gun. I'd been "saving" a BH 12 gauge for just such an occasion. It is an 1890s vintage gun, and, from the research letter, I've learned that it has had three sets of Parker barrels in its lifetime, including the current 30 inch fluid steel Remington era set. Built on a number 1 frame and weighing just 3 ounces over 7 pounds, and with nice, high dimensions that match my shooting style perfectly, I was sure the gun would pattern where I pointed.

To make the tale short, the gun took a double from over a covey point by Aspen on its first and second shots fired. I could not help but wonder about its original owner and the first shots he fired from this gun. The gun and its history, the chance to use it on wild birds pointed by a dog I trained -- still hunting here nearly 120 years after Parker's craftsmen and women created this gun -- made the day special.

I'd wager each of you who shoots a Parker, at game or clays, knows how much more special it is to use a gun with a past. I'm so grateful that we have the records (and the knowledge within this Association) that allow us to connect with the past through these wonderful examples of American history.

Photo Key:

1. The 1890s BH with the birds it took on this special day.
2. The moment of truth: a follow-up single pointed by Aspen that also fell to the BH. Although I normally do not try for doubles, and generally quit shooting after I've gotten a brace of birds, we indulged in some more shooting after the initial covey point. This covey was huge, having over 20 birds in it, so I know the few we took wouldn't hurt its chances for survival.
3. You know it's a red-letter day when the full moon shows you the way home, with tired dogs in the back of the truck and thoughts of long ago hunts from the history of a special gun to ponder on the long ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2872.jpg (521.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2830.jpg (518.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2876.jpeg (140.9 KB, 6 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Bill Jolliff, Bill Mullins, Bill Murphy, Bob Kimble, Brett Hoop, Chris Robenalt, Christian Gish, Craig Larter, CraigThompson, Daniel Carter, Daryl Corona, Dave Suponski, David Noble, Dean Romig, Ed Norman, edgarspencer, Eric Eis, Garth Gustafson, Gary Laudermilch, George Davis, Hal Sheets, Harry Collins, Jacob Duke, James L. Martin, James Purdy, Jay Baskette, Jay Oliver, Jeff Christie, Jerry Harlow, Jim McKee, Karl Ferguson, Ken Hill, Kevin McCormack, Larry Frey, Larry Stauch, Lloyd Bernstein, Louis Caissie, MARK KIRCHER, Mark Ray, Matt Valinsky, Michael Earls, Mike Koneski, Milton C Starr, PAUL PLUNKETT III, Pete Kappes, Phil Yearout, Randy G Roberts, Richard Flanders, Rob Marshall, Robbie Payne, Robert Brooks, Scott Gentry, scott kittredge, Shawn Wayment, Timothy Salgado, Victor Wasylyna
Unread 12-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Wild birds and a Parker double. Does not get any better! Thanks for sharing!
Unread 12-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Thanks for recounting a memorable and special hunt for us Garry... Who could ask for more!?!
This reminds me of the recent article in Parker Pages where several members were asked to write their own definition of the "Parker Mystique". All were different but most of them touched on a gun's individual history and it's first and subsequent owners and how they used the gun.

Again, Thanks.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Nice story, and really well told, I could almost feel my self there on the hunt with you. You have a good writing style. Keep up the stories and the pictures.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

nothing like shooting wild quail....been a while for me...charlie....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

What a shotgun! Is there provenance on this gun?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

I really enjoyed your post! That is a fine shotgun that I'm sure will give you many more memorial hunts. Do you have any idea what year the ejectors were added? I wonder if they were done during the Remington era along with the barrels. Did either of the other two sets of barrels make it to you also?
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote