Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

New to me Parker 12ga.
Unread 10-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
DouglasDeHart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New to me Parker 12ga.

Good morning,

Very new to the world of Parker Shotguns and was referred to this forum by a friend. Looking for advice on what to do to this Parker to make it a solid shooter.

Was in my local gun shop last week and couldn’t help myself when I saw a Parker 12ga on the shelf for $550. I have shot the gun. I have also researched “bringing the gun back on face”- as the biggest issue that I can tell is the barrels lose or wiggling when I close the gun. I have contacted Turnbull about doing this repair.

Aside from that issue- I wanted to get advice on the condition of the gun I bought. Replacing the screws that you can see in pictures have heads worn. Replacing the orange site with appropriate bead? And lastly how to properly replace the butt pad that is chipped.

Was also hoping if someone could tell me if the bluing on barrels is original?

The wood is also rough but I like the patina and think it should be left as is.? Or any suggestions to lightly polish? Not sure what I would use for that.

Thanks for looking and I Look forward to learning more.
Doug
DouglasDeHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

nice find- but be careful you do not end up in a money pit situation

please do not take this wrong - you can have a great shooter here

however

a repaired 2 frame 12 V grade is not going to be a high value gun- and repairs are not inexpensive (30" barrels?)

if it is off face - absolutely fix that - it will just get worse. -

the stock has been pinned - likely due to a split inside the head. if the wood is solid - it can be repaired better and with a veneer of walnut to hide the bolt hole it will look better

the other option it to find a good take off stock - it will likely need a little fitting- but its much more reasonable for this gun than a new stock

other than that - shoot it and enjoy it
Unread 10-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
DouglasDeHart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info...I didn’t even know the stock had been pinned. Or what that meant until now.

So it doesn’t look like I should have purchased this one? I don’t worry much about value, but it would cost me at least 450 to have it tightened....that’s a lot to invest. Perhaps once that is done I can try my hand at restocking the gun. Barrels are 28”.
Unread 10-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

no, you got a good buy but it does need some work. It is one of the most common Parkers
that is why OH said be careful it could become a money pit. Get the off face repair and you will have a good shooter. get prices from some of the gunsmiths here to compare with Turnbull. Reproduction butt plates are around $15
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasDeHart View Post
Thanks for the info...I didn’t even know the stock had been pinned. Or what that meant until now.

So it doesn’t look like I should have purchased this one? I don’t worry much about value, but it would cost me at least 450 to have it tightened....that’s a lot to invest. Perhaps once that is done I can try my hand at restocking the gun. Barrels are 28”.
i don't think its a bad purchase - but what additional money you spend on it will determine that

check the recommended gunsmiths list on the board and see what the on face will cost - that must be done correctly but does not have to be that expensive

stock wise- the repair is not difficult if you have a little skill, the tools and the patience to do it right - BUT - make sure the wood is solid and oil free before proceeding

there was a thread on that process - not sure if you can see the pictures if you have a photobucket account

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=staple

Brian Dudley has graciously posted a instructions on disassembly
http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=307
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

The gun was not a terrible buy for what it is in the condition it is in. Obviously as low as possible is always best with a gun in this shape. But you have to start somewhere and a shootable VH for $500 is to be expected.

Make sure that your gun is in fact off face and in need of repair in that regard. Looseness on the hinge when the gun is open is typical for a well used gun as it is just the nature of the design of the forend and hinge. What is important is if the gun is tight when locked closed. Movement when closed could be an off face condition or could just be a loose lockup. And a loose lockup can be improperly mistaken for being off face.

It is hard to tell if the barrel blue is original or not from your photos.

And replacement of the Ithaca style raybar sight can be done without much trouble. But likely not with a factory bead. A modern brass or aluminum style bead would be the ticket since it has already been opened up larger for that current sight.

If the stock head is tight and has no movement, I would just keep the stock on it as it is with the pinned head. Unless you want to mess with restocking. Remember... money pit.

If you put $450 into breech work, then you are already into it for more than it is worth.
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
DouglasDeHart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you for all the great info and advice thus far.

And yes Brian the looseness happens while the gun is closed. I am not sure how to tell the difference between odd face or lose lockup as you mentioned.
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

My advise would be sell the gun and recoup some of your money, it's a money pit. Lean more about Parkers and the what original condition both mechanical and finishes are correct. Save your money and eventually buy yourself a gun that doesn't have issues. Your purchase is a cost of the education in vintage guns believe me we have all been there. In my case as a long time collector, I still make mistakes that end up costing me money. Your best decision was to join this forum and the PGCA, an investment which will pay you back in spades.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
DouglasDeHart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ugh. The only place around me I think I could sell it is where I bought it. Not sure how that would go.

Hunting is secondary to my fly fishing and bamboo rod making. To purchase a gun for much more would probably be a stretch for me financially.
Unread 10-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Douglas,

check around for a better price on tighting the gun- you can shoot it with the pinned stock if its solid

where are you located, someone might be able to point you some place

and - please post some pics of your rods - there is a photos Friday page -

BTW, are you the same DeHart on the Classic fly rod board?