Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 04-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Jeff Weihing
Forum Associate

Member Info

Headed to the range tomorrow morning.
Jeff Weihing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #22
Jeff Weihing
Forum Associate

Member Info

Took the SBT out today and it shot amazingly!! It definitely shot better than the guy behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2164.JPG (272.6 KB, 12 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Weihing For Your Post:
Parker SBT
Unread 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #23
Trap3
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,123 Times in 270 Posts

Default Parker SBT

That`s Great! You just need to shoot a few more rounds to figure out where it shoots... Thanks for the pic...

Trap3
Randy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #24
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

An old rule of thumb was it takes a couple of cases (not flats) to really learn a gun. The fun is shooting up those cases of shells
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
SBT
Unread 04-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #25
Mark Riessen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default SBT

Hi Jeff, Well from what I can see in the pictures, the ser. no. would put it's mfg. about 1935. Remington took control in '34 I believe. The bbls. have their roll mark on the side where a full blown Ilion gun would have no info on the rib or bbls. Also Remington only purchased the name 'PARKER' not Parker bros. Notice that on the belly of the frame it says only 'PARKER'. The grip cap is Meriden not Ilion as the guns were still mfg. in Conn. and had not moved to NY. Also the flying bird changed direction at some point after the purchase by Remington. One goes left the other goes right. None of it really matters, it is just odd little thing that Parker guys notice and have fun with when picking guns apart. Some collectors really get excited about transition guns and there features. I love them all, especially really clean guns like yours that have not been 'overhauled'. You are super lucky to get such a nice one. The main thing is don't put it in the closet. Buy several flats of light trap loads and take her out and enjoy her, she was made to shoot. She has more character and style than 20 or 30 so called modern trap guns, trust me, I've shot em both. I just got really lucky in life and met up with a guy named Jeff Christie who was willing to take the time and show me some of his old guns and get me going in the right direction. I had the inclination but was a little bit confused and not sure what to do. Stay on this site and you will learn a ton. Have fun, don't take things to seriously and good luck. Mark
Mark Riessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Riessen For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #26
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Thanks for the update and picture Jeff. I'm sure when you removed the Parker from your case and put it on the gun rack I'm sure you it had quite the stir and people were curious as to what you had there. That's what's great about shooting these fine old guns..... it begins a conversation and introduces and exposes these guns to new people.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #27
Jeff Weihing
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey Mark, Thank you for all the info. The more I research Parkers, the more I fall in love with the history. Already have started an early look into getting another one. Your knowledge is amazing and I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea about my other post? The one about the handwritten, in pencil 287 on the inside of the forearm? The # doesn't mean anything to my family and I doubt that my grandpa would have written it. Also does not have any connection to the SN.
SBT
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #28
Mark Riessen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default SBT

Your welcome Jeff. My knowledge is small and limited compared to the more serious collectors. But could tell that you were excited and looking for info. No I can't really guess as to the meaning of the number on the forearm. Two good sources of information that any Parker man wants to have access to are 'PARKER GUN identification & serialization' and 'THE PARKER STORY' . The first is easy to obtain and affordable the second is abit more difficult , maybe out of print right now. But sometimes they come up for sale. Invaluable and worth every penny if you want to chase around after Parker shotguns. Best of luck to you and stay on the website here. The fellas are VERY helpful and friendly. Much info and help for new guys. Keep you cheek down tight, your elbows up and loose, don't think to much, and FOCUS on the bird. Good luck, Mark
Mark Riessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Riessen For Your Post: