Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Available recoil pads in 1913
Unread 07-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Available recoil pads in 1913

Was curious what pads would have been available from the Parker shop in 1913? It would be for a 0 grade or Trojan grade.
I know Silvers were offered, were there any others?
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

A Trojan was very unlikely to have been fitted with a pad at the factory. A 12 gauge Trojan looks pretty good with a properly fitter Silver pad.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
A Trojan was very unlikely to have been fitted with a pad at the factory. A 12 gauge Trojan looks pretty good with a properly fitter Silver pad.
I hate to take a contrary opinion to that of my buddy, but I don't think any Parker, other than guns built for target shooting, look good with a pad, even Silvers which is the least obnoxious of them all. I once owned a DHE with a seriously perished original pad. I replaced it with a Silvers, but always regretted the fact that the gun didn't have a skeleton butt. I no longer buy any Parker with a pad, original or aftermarket, I am currently looking for a nice BHE or CHE. If it has a pad, I won't buy it. Most Parkers were shipped without a pad. I guess I am somewhat of a purist. But many like pads and thats fine with me. I just don't want them on any of my personal guns.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thats great but this gun already had a pad and was altered. Just looking to get something that might have been offered by Parker with their guns, or actually anything that might have been available during this time period. I'm not a collector but would like some continuity with the time frame the gun was made. I do appreciate the help and opinions guys!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Rick, understood. I was not talking about guns that already have an aftermarket pad and my comments were in no way aimed at your particular situation. I was just giving my perspective generally. Sometimes pads are the only way to go, especially if the butt has been cut down and a pad is needed to get a decent length of pull. Perhaps my bias against pads is born from the many DHE and above guns that had their skeleton butt destroyed for want of a pad. I can't begin to imagine doing that. It destroys the historical integrity of the gun. Replacing an original plate on the lower grades is less of a sin, but still a sin in my perspective. But your gun had a pad already, so all bets are off. Your gun will look fine with a period pad. My personal preference is for the Silvers, a classic in it own right, I must admit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Your gun will look fine with a period pad. My personal preference is for the Silvers, a classic in it own right, I must admit.
Or a Hawkins pad, the one with the heart shapes on the side of the pad, not the straight horizontal rubber ribs, hard to explain but when you see the two pads you'll know what I am talking about.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I imagine that there were more Hawkins pads installed at the factory than any other. I've never seen a Silvers pad factory installed but I'm sure they did. My personal preference is for a pad without ventilation.
Unread 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys, believe it or not it's going on a 200.00 dollar Trojan, as in 200 dollars in 2018. It's had some "special" treatment, like beavertail forend, restock and a white line pad that looks out of sorts. So I thought with some small corrections I can get a good shooter for the pigeon pit. I wont feel so bad cranking some rounds through it! Yeah although not a collector I do like to keep some things period correct!
Unread 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wow!! A $200 Trojan. Were you holding a loaded DHE on the seller when you got that price?
Unread 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

No one bid on it on GB, I was shocked as well. I put down 205.00 , I was sure I was going to be outbid, I've seen far worse go twice sometimes three times as much. So I guess 240 with shipping, but still surprised! It's not a prom queen, but I'll shoot the hell out of it! It also gives me some room for any corrections or repairs that need to be done. I was thinking of doing something with the Parker Pages with it as I work on it and get it where it needs to be.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post: