Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

410 conversion
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Nancy Askew
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 410 conversion

Hi, I recently aquired a Parker Bros Damascus barrel sxs and the serial # dates it to 1900. the finish on the barrels and reciever look to me to be
85+%. It does not show signs of being refinished. It is a 1 1/2 frame. A #2 in ingraving. I need to find out how much the 410 conversion hurts it value and can they be removed? I am in central California. Not finding enough information on line to help me. Any information will help.
Nancy Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Nancy, the 1 1/2 frame indicates a 12 ga. so the conversion you refer to is likely to be full-length sub-gauge insert tubes, am I correct?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Francis.....If you re-read Deans post....You will notice the mention of "Full length tubes" As in "Sub gauge"....As in smaller than 12 gauge....
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Nancy Askew
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 410 sleeve

the sleeve is only 1/2 way down. that's why i thought i was getting a 12 ga
the hole at the end is 12ga. they also replaced the extractor to reach the 410 round.
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

OK, those are sub-gauge inserts and are likely removable. However, there is a distinct possibility the bores are so pitted that a previous owner chose to shoot the little .410 shells in it. But the more I think of it the more I wonder why he wouldn't just have used 20 ga. inserts in order to shoot an economical shell. So maybe the bores are okay to shoot 12 ga. loads and he just shot .410 shells part of the time and removed or replaced those inserts with inserts for another gauge or simply shot 12 ga. shells when he wanted to. You should take it to someone who knows how to remove the sub-gauge inserts and then inspect the bores and the wall thickness of the barrels.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Nancy,
The inserts in your Parker are likely similar to the Briley sub gage insert pictured below. If so they should be easily removed but as Dean said be sure to have the barrels examined as the tubes may have been used do to pitting ahead of the chambers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 568wBRILEY.jpg (36.1 KB, 9 views)
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Jim Akins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nancy, I am in Merced and would be happy to look at your Parker and give you my opinion. My email is james.akins@gmail.com

Jim A.
Jim Akins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The tubes are likely Savage Fourtenners. If you would post a picture of the open breech section we could confirm that. If you can't post a picture, maybe you could email a picture to one of the readers of this thread. OK, about the Fourtenners. They are held in place by O rings. When they are left in place for a long time, the O rings melt in place making the tube nearly impossible to remove. They can also rust in place if they are the steel variety. I recommend you take Mr. Akins up on his offer to help. He is a skilled and honest gun person and will give you good advice. I have removed stuck Fourtenners with a wooden dowel close to bore diameter, pressed forcefully from the muzzle. The muzzle of the Fourtenner is bore diameter and flared at the end, so the dowel must be very close to 12 gauge diameter.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Nancy Askew
Forum Associate

Member Info

i have posted pictures of my shotgun. including the chamber area so those who want can take a look at it.

If i have to leave the 410 conversion in what would be a price range i could get for it?
thanks for the help everyone
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Where have you posted these pictures you refer to? OK, I found them. They are in the albums section of this website. What you have is a pair of steel Savage Fourtenners as I earlier described. As you can tell from your pictures from the muzzle of the gun, the muzzles of the Fourtenners are flared so that any dowel or tool you use to push them out has to be very close to the diameter of the 12 gauge barrels. They may push out easily or they may be stuck and be harder to remove. You will want to get them out to properly evaluate the bores of your gun. Additionally, the Savage tubes have value by themselves. Let us know how much luck you have getting the tubes out. I still think you should contact Mr. Akins to assist you if you are at a loss about how to proceed. You don't want to scratch the bores of your Parker with an improper "pusher". A close fitting wooden dowel if the safest tool to use. Sometimes a light tap will dislodge the insert, sometimes a heavier push is needed.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote