Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Nothing like you have Jack. Here on the Shawsheen Flats we have had Canadas serenading us to sleep and waking us in the morning (somewhat earlier than we would like) ever since ice-out and many of them are resident birds. Several species of ducks stop by for a few brief days but never in great numbers. For the last six or seven years two or three pairs of Mute Swans stay for a few weeks but eventually move on. It's nice to watch but not awe-inspiring like you all have in the plains.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Lemon Merang (?sp) pie is hard to beat. Just polished off the last of the Ruhbarb the wife made.

Dad in your honor and that of the Boswell I have purchased a Claybaugh (London) 12 bore hammer gun. Shes sound of body with 30 inch fine damascuss choked IC/M. She's a lot lighter than my Grade 3 two frame Parker
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

A little more study for that spelling bee next week, "Son". Made a mistake with rhubarb when Mom was a young bride. She knew how much I liked rhubarb pie so made me two one day. I ate the first one in usual young man style. I ate half the second one the next day and left the other half in the fridge for a bit too long. Mom asked why it was still there and I made the mistake of my life when it comes to pies. Nobody with life experience was there to give me a kick or explain how important the answer would be. I simply said, it doesn't quite taste like grandma's rhubarb pie - which was true but not that big a deal, unless you are a young bride who believes her "man" hates her baking. End result - not a single rhubarb pie for me for forty years and counting. Oh Mom will bake, but rhubarb remains a reminder of how one must very carefully assess a question from our better halves. I can't even trade her one of my lemon pies for a rhubarb baked by her. I'll assess whether or not to mention more shotguns in the "extended" family. I think I need to build the brownie point bank for a bit. Enjoy the Claybaugh.

I went a little early for the dog hike today. The gazillion snows are now a bazillion. Actually saw three young guys heading into a field to try their luck. They would be attempting to take a few after lift-off from the temporary lakes. I think I would set up where they go for dinner rather than hope for some pass shooting; however, with a bazillion birds, I imagine they did okay.

Cheers
Jack
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Back in the old days before Canada went to non toxic shot a group of us went to Manitoba for two weeks of Waterfowl and upland birds. We started off in the Pas for ducks then down to Oak Lake for geese. The number of Snows and Blue Geese along with a few Ross was spectacular to say the least. You could hear the birds comeing off Oak Lake for 20 min before you saw them.

The wife makes a good rhubarb pie...not quite up to my Moms but thats a secret I'll keep
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wish I could of ate a piece of you mothers pie Richard I like good rubarb pie with some homemade vinalla ice cream. best ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

My mother would make pies from what we grew in our garden and we had a good size rhubarb patch, a quarter acre of strawberries and ten high bush blueberry bushes. Her pies were "to die for" and she would bake strawberry-rhubarb or blueberry-rhubarb pies all the time. We had lots of apple trees, pear trees, peach trees, corn, beans, squash, etc. so we ate very well and liked what we ate, thanks to Mom.
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My Mom makes a banana pie thats A1 special. n chocolate, pecan, pumpkin, custard, she wone the pie comtest at the fair. But bluebarrie rubarb i'm wiping the slobers off my chin!!! I love garden squash gonna grow me some. Don't suppose u got your moms recipe foe that BB rubarb pie Dean?
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Guy's, you notice a all this talk is about "Mom's" pies and not your wifes..... Hey JD you might want to close this thread before alot of people get in trouble....
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Kathy needs no introduction... her cookies reputation preceeds her in certain circles
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Still treading on "thin ice"
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote