Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #11
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Alfred, where in H*LL did you find that "late Chaco" (modern dark brown) A-5 auto case!!??? After working through my A-5 addiction, gone to counseling and joined a support group, I started winnowing thru my A-5 collection and wound up selling all 13 of them with their original Hartmann or Airways cases except for my Eastern Shore of MD classic Standard 12 28" VR for use with non-tox and my great Jap 3" Mag Invector 28" for use as a dedicated steel shot gun. The Standard had its own Hartmann but I looked for years for an appropriate vintage "late Chaco" for the Jap 3" Mag. Presto1 - walked into our seriously degraded local gun show a few months ago (now mostly black guns & accessories, MREs. and unisex body armor) and glommed onto a brand new one for peanuts!! Only one I saw for sale before or since; man was I glad to get it!!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #12
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Believe it or not, I found mine at Green Top Sporting Goods. When they were making the move across the road to the old Gander Mountain building they had a clearance sale and there it was.

Back then, they stocked a lot of Browning products to include the higher grade guns. Not so anymore. Today they stock just the Grade 1 Citori, maybe the Cynergy, pumps and autoloaders.
Alfred Houde is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Yeah Alfred; I used to stop at Green Top regularly when I went up and down I-95 cruising the almost-major guns shows around Richmond (Mechanicsville; Fairgrounds; Great Southern Weapons Fair at an armory whose name I can't recall) before the internet changed a lot of things so far as time and gas went. Also hit a lot of scary 'firehouse shows' along the way! I remember when GT was a wide-spectrum Browning dealer; I guess sheer economics of inventory changed all that. The best place I know of nowadays for a great selection of Brownings is Miller's Gun Center in New Castle DE. Its on Rt. 1/13 just north of the New Castle Co. airport and within 5 mins. of the DE Memorial Bridge. They are a major specialty Browning dealer and cater most heavily to trap, skeet, & SC shooters. Browning makes up a specialty gun for them - mostly O/Us with their own engraving patterns, wood, barrel lengths, choke tube varieties, etc. They're tiny by comparison to GT, Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander Mtn. - about the size of an old-fashioned service station, but they have everything under the sun for a claybuster. Used guns for sale as well, and sometimes a "jewel in the crown" comes out of the woodwork trolled in by a local who needs money. Great examples are a screaming Fox/Becker custom pigeon gun and a bona fide FN Browning A-5 Grade IV in its original faux black elephant hide truk case with papers & patterning target. They're a place I still stop at regularly if I'm within a 50 mile detour. Tremendous selection of ammo of all types and of course no sales tax in DE!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote