Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Help - DH 12ga renovation
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Mark Gaeta
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Help - DH 12ga renovation

After reading the forum pages on this site for several years and quite a bit of searching I am looking to acquire my first Parker. I am not a collector but have really wnated one to hunt with. I have located a DH 12ga SN 115,641 for $1550 that is beat quite a bit. The stock is cracked completely thru the wrist, has an old repair but will need to be replaced. The receiver has no case colors remaining but the engraving is still very good. The lever is about center and bores looks pretty good with no pitting or rust. The action has a little play when locked up. Looks like a pear-shaped soldering spot about 3/4 inch long on the side of the right barrel. Not sure what that might be from as it seems like a strange spot for a repair. All the bluing is pretty much gone and quite a few spots exist where rust has been rubbed off. I know quite a bit of work is necessary but $1550 seemed like a decent price for a DHE, even with all of the work needed. Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith near Erie, PA who works on Parkers that can possibly take a look at this for me?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Gaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
repairs...
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default repairs...

Cost will add up fast ...reconsider buying this one. The pear shaped repair may be perminent hidden damge? The barrels must be usable and in good condition or all investment may be lost. If any gun has three problems I pass and if only two they must be repairable....good barrels are the most important, not cut off, good wall thickness, no deep pitting, very little light pitting that can be removed safely O.K., no larg dents, no loose ribs but this can be repaired 4-500.00 if the rest of the gun is nice. condition is everything...thanks kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-;
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree. There are many nice DH's on the market for a fair price and don't need any work. My project guns always cost me much more then I expected. Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Mark Gaeta
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the suggestions. Other than photos on this site and elsewhere on the internet I have only handled a couple Trojans and V grade guns in person. They just don't turn up very often in any of the shops or stores here. After closely inspecting the engraving on this D grade it really made me want it even more for my first Parker. The search will need to continue.
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,719 Posts

The local gun store is probably the least productive place to look for good Parkers. Gun shows, big double gun shoots, the internet, fellow collectors are much better sources. The broken stock would be the deal breaker on the D grade you describe, even before learning of a barrel problem.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

I agree with the above gentlemen.Don,t let "Parker Fever"force you into a bad decision. There are still many decent gun's out there. Remember when you are buying a double you are buying the barrels. It's kinda like women....Half the fun is in the "Chase"..
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Mark Gaeta
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the recommendations. I have decided to pass on this one and will continue looking...or "chasing" as Dave puts it!

Francis - thanks for the advice and no, I am not offended. This gun is a DH. I have been looking at some of the repros for sale on the internet and may consider one as an option. From many of the comments I have seen on this site those with the repros seem very happy with them. From what I have gathered I would definitely want one with DT's as you mention.
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

No Dave, Parkers are waaay better than women... my Parkers never complain if I leave them home while I take a different one out to play with.....
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Unread 07-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Gill Frye
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like this poem,

Jim and I were friends until one day a pretty girl passed our way
and from that time on each aspired to win our fair maidens heart.
Although I tried every art and each winning smile day by day I saw my chances grow more nile........until one day she married Jim.
Ahhhhh lucky Jim how I envy him.

Three years past..........long and bitter years they seemed to me, until one day Jim died and there arose that burning desire once again inside.

I wooed and I cooed and I married her atlast...and now she is my wife and I know just what there is to married life.....I think of Jim...lying there under the ground......peace and quite most profound

Ahhhh lucky Jim how I envy him.
Gill Frye is offline   Reply With Quote