Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Donovan Kirkpatrick
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a NIB, 12 ga non SSS with 3" chambers, so marked. It is choked IC/Mod 28" bbls. I have a Sporting Clays w 28"bbls marked 2 3/4". Have no clue if it will chamber 3" shells because it is unfired. NIB. The only detractor according to "KG" is they have single triggers. I like single triggers and have had no problems to date. My "go to" gun had 26" bbls choked Q1/Q2, I find I like the shorter bbls on 12 ga guns. Seems the older I get the heavier the guns get. By the way Kenny, I did get 2 trigger guns in 20 and 28 ga because you speak so highly of them. Can not bring myself to shoot them. Everytime I have about talked myself into it, the asking price seems to go up. I surely do enjoy the threads about the reproductions. Have learned a lot keep it up.
Donovan Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Donovan, is there any way you could get the chambers measured in your SCC?
TIA,
Greg
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Two comments:

1) My Sporting Clays Classic is marker 2-3/4 and measures 2-3/4
2) The Steel Shot Specials were also bored at .740 which I believe is a shade larger than standard. I remeber reading somewhere they were 12% heavier... I'll try and find that. Here's an original ad for one from a Dunn's catalog. Little hard to read - sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0001.jpg (254.5 KB, 49 views)
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Donovan Kirkpatrick
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greg, Would dropping a 3" shell in the chamber work? 3" shells chamber just fine.

Last edited by Donovan Kirkpatrick; 09-25-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Need to add info.
Donovan Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Coach
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by Carl Brandt; 09-25-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Carl Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Kirkpatrick View Post
Greg, Would dropping a 3" shell in the chamber work?
No, to get an accurate reading it should be done with a chamber gauge--any gunsmith could measure them for you. If your SCC is NIB, do you still have the box? If so, is the chamber length marked on the end cap label?

Dave,

Were the chambers on your SCC measured using a chamber gauge?

I too, have a copy of the article that I believe you're talking about on the "Parker Reproduction 12-gauge Magnum", I don't believe the writer ever specifically called them "Steel Shot Specials". (I'm at work and don't have it in front of me, so I'm commenting here with a foggy memory). The article says the barrels of these guns were 12% heavier than the norm, but also states, (I think--I'll have to reread it again when I get home) the bore diameters at either .732 and/or .733 of their test gun--which of course differs from the .740 bores reported the SSS's have by the authors of TPS.
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl - WinChoke is the brand name you need. Be sure to get the flush fitting type and NOT the extended tube with the knurled end that takes a spanner wrench.

Greg - Yep... I used one of those brass Galazan chamber gauges and there's no ambiguity, its 2-3/4. I was kind of hoping it would be 3 since I have the same catalogs you do but it is most certainly not. I will ask John Allen at Game Fair about the bore on the SSS. He still has the original prototype that he sent to MacIntosh et al prior to placing his order for 350 more.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Greg, thanks for reminding us that the SC model was advertised as having 3" chambers. According to my catalog collection, the SC (ISC) model was not mentioned in later catalogs, having been sold out quite early. One Skeuse memo mentions steel shot compatible Repros as being any gun with less than .025 of constriction. That is some technical information for a manufacturer to share. The factory information indicated that 25 ISC models had been ordered from the factory but total production is estimated at 125. All this discussion about 12 gauge Repros makes me want to find one. Thank you Mr. Skeuse for your comments on this forum.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
All posters are confusing the "Steel Shot Special" with the "Sporting Clays" model of Repro. The Sporting Clays model has 2 3/4" chambers and screw in chokes. The "Steel Shot Special" has 3" chambers and IC and MOD chokes in 28" barrels. The difference between a regular Repro with 28" barrels and a Steel Shot Special with 28" barrels is that the SSS has chokes that are compatible with steel shot in 3" shells. The regular Repro with 28" barrels has 2 3/4" chambers and modified and full chokes. I don't doubt that Joe owned a gun that was not serial numbered as a Steel Shot Special that had SSS features. OK, so he did. No one got too excited about 12 gauge Repros as a concept. In 1986, original short barrel D Grade Parkers were not a hot item, and they still aren't today. Why do we think they only sold a few 12 gauge Repros? How hot are 26" 12 gauge Repros today?
Bill, you misunderstood. Years ago I owned a Steel Shot Special (so marked and purchased from Dunn's) and later sold it. This Spring I bought a 28" bbl, 3" chambered Repro with IC/Mod chokes, but it is not marked SS in the serial number. And by the way, it weighs only 4 oz. less than the SSS weighed, and it has a straight stock/splinter forend while my Steel Shot Special had a pistol grip/beavertail forend, so it's not much, if any lighter.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote