Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Gearing Up for the Rut at the Savannah Ridge Tree Farm
Unread 10-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Gearing Up for the Rut at the Savannah Ridge Tree Farm

We've postponed our usual early season Minnesota grouse trips, but still plan to be in the North Woods for the last two weeks of October. There'll be some new Parker 20s to be blooded on that annual trip. One up side to staying at home is that we have been able to spend more time this Fall at our tree farm. We planted two more loading decks with clover and cereal rye, and although the rain shut off for several weeks, recent rains have been helpful and we are seeing good growth. The loading deck (places strategically placed around the farm as staging sites for loading logs onto hauling trucks) we planted to clover two years ago is really doing well, and has become a deer magnet. I killed a turkey this past Spring on it, and we've recorded lots of deer activity so far this Fall, including some decent bucks. Elaine and I have put up several stands and pop-up blinds (the blinds are for turkeys). I've not had much luck finding turkeys so far this Fall carrying my GH 10 gauge, but my arm is longer and the 16s and 20s will feel super light when the bird season opens. I'll be in a tree when the wind is favorable during the first two weeks of November. Our firearms opener is November 14th this year, so we'll be busy chasing quail with Gordons and Parkers and whitetails with the bow when we need to give the dogs (and our aging legs) a rest during early November.

I love this time of year. There's so much to do, and so much to anticipate. The stay at home summer is in the rear view mirror.

Keys to the photos:

1. We've managed our tree farm for almost 40 years and were recognized in 2017 as the Missouri Tree Farm of the Year. It's amazing what good management can do for the trees (we are an oak-hickory forest) and the wildlife. You can google Savannah Ridge to see more photos and a location map.
2. I bought this ladder stand when I retired in 2013, but we just found the time to put it up this Fall. It was a bit much for an old, out-of-shape guy and his short wife, but we did it. It will stay in its current location!
3. This loading deck produced a good stand of clover this year. It's a deer magnet. The pop-up blind is for turkeys and will stay up through next year's Spring season.
4. I think I've counted 8 separate bucks in this one loading deck, including a couple of nicer ones. We've had deer die-offs in some neighboring counties due to EHD, but our herd is very healthy.
5. This sway-backed, big bellied guy is on my hit list...if he ever shows himself in daylight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3912.jpg (524.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3897.jpg (517.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3937.jpg (508.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg MFDC0490.jpeg (134.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg MFDC0393.jpeg (85.6 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Very nice! Hoping to get out myself soon as they are moving
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Garry did you say "new Parker 20s"? Nothing gets my attention like that phrase.