Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Reproduction stock refinis
Unread 01-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
John Mellinger
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Reproduction stock refinis

If refinishing a repro stock, what is best way to remove existing finish? Does it come off pretty easy? Also, is the metal medallion under the buttstock brass or does it have a finish that is going to come off in the process? Thanks for the help.
John Mellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

That stuff is almost bullet-proof. I stripped the stock on one myself but had so much difficulty that I can't recommend a good effective way.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Had the bowling alley finish on a 28 that needed a good clean up..stuff cuts right through it with ease and it scrapes off like it's nothing using a couple pcs of plastic (Delrin) ground up to a scraper/knife edge ..a belt or disc sander to keep the scrapers edge touched up is a must..follow with denatured alcohol to expose any spots missed.

Medallion should come through your refinish unscathed...avoid it w/fine sandpaper as it will shine up unpleasantly w/an uneven finish..scotchbrite will restore it to a nice even finish should you get a little sloppy with sandpaper but go easy as it doesn't take much.

IMG_6612.JPG
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Scott, That looks like a nice LeBlond lathe in the background. I like running LeBlonds....
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Klean Strip Aircraft paint remover works but it takes a lot of work. Results can be good however.

Also, make a board to keep track of screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7886.jpg (516.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7896.jpg (492.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7883.jpg (494.2 KB, 5 views)
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Fuller For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Repros are finished with Utithane which, as Dean said is very hard to remove. Some Urithane finishes are so difficult, only sanding them will get them off.

The stock ovals on Repros are very thick. About 1/16" or more. Vs. the Meriden guns that were very thin.
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Scott, That looks like a nice LeBlond lathe in the background. I like running LeBlonds....
Thanks Dave..yes, LeBlonds are very nice. The one pictured has been run hard & I've been threatening to have it rebuilt as new machines simply do not compare.

Never have tried Klean Strip..

..I have to say with all respect that the finish is not that difficult to remove..a little tedious being cautious near edges etc but not really difficult at all. The Zip Strip w/a plastic scraper works like a champ..the finish just rolls right off but what does not come off in the initial swipe of the scraper just has to be worked a bit while the finish is still softened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Reproduction Screws
Unread 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Reproduction Screws

Ron Gunn is right about the screws, they are all suppose to go back where they came from. You will notice that they are all horizontal or vertical. the hinge pin is that way also. Look at the guns that are for sale on GI or Gun Broker. You can tell which ones have been opened up and messed with. If it does not look like the picture you took before working on the gun you have them in the wrong place. The butt screws have small notches in them for that reason. Take a picture before and give it to the smith when working on these beauties. Thanks
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

I needed to refinish my 28 ga. after I repaired a broken wrist. I used some kind of chemical stripper (Zip-Strip? Strip-Ease?) and went over it a couple of times. Not too difficult, but time consuming. Leave it on thick for a long time. Be careful with plastic scrapers. The wood gets soft with the chemical stripper on there and it is not hard to gouge it. I used Tru Oil and I love the look.

The first pic is 2 Garbis and the 28 ga. Repro., all finished with Tru Oil. The second pic is the Repro, which could use another coat or 2 of finish. Easy to add.

I'm very happy with the broken wrist repair on the Repro. I bet you can't see where it broke in half through the wrist checkering right behind the tangs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.jpg (533.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (469.8 KB, 5 views)
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Joe - you are right to caution about the use of plastic scrapers as they are not all created equal and I should have made it a point to be more clear on that.

I make my own and use a plastic called Delrin which differs from a plastic scraper off of a box store shelf which is likely made from polyethylene. That said..as a rule, unless it is polycarbonate or plexiglass - plastic will not damage the wood but on the same token, and as w/everything..a little common sense applies.

Delrin is rigid yet soft and will not damage nor will it mar the wood in any way shape or form. It can be brought to a very sharp edge which breaks down quickly during the stripping process hence my recomendation to have a sander handy for touch up. This method works quite well to remove the finish and does take some time. This is not an instant gratification/result method & does take some time. Furthermore - as the edge on a pc of delrin curls up it can then be utilized as a scraper w/a pulling action as opposed to a pushing action to remove material.

Brian..the 28 I am working on is what I believe to be an early pc as evidenced by the stampings on the barrel lug which are stamped "I" and "F" as opposed to "00" indicating the frame size. Unless it is inlayed into the stock (which it does not appear to be)..the stock oval on my gun only measures about .007/.008 thick..nowhere near the 1/16" or (.0625) that you indicated...maybe different suppliers or a change in manufacturing over the course of production?