Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
New and need knowledge
Unread 06-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New and need knowledge

I picked up a 1890’s Charles Daly SxS 10 Gauge about 20 years ago. I sent it to along with my buddy a few years ago along with a pair of Dixie gun works hammers. The gun was missing the left hammer and screw when I picked it up at a rummage sale. It was pretty rusty and seized up. I took it all apart years ago and polished it up getting everything working smoothly again. The existing hammer had been brazed for some reason. Where the screw goes into the side place it’s smooth with no threads for some reason like it had been stripped out or??? My buddy is a smith but hasn’t had time to mess with it and I told him I wasn’t in a hurry(and he dose my work for free) but I’m starting to get anxious to load up some black powder or Smokeless equivalent loads for turkey hunting. Been loading rifle as pistol ammo along with casting on and off for 20 years but no shotgun reloading yet. I bought some RST 2 7/8” 1 1/4 oz #5’s to try when he gets done with it and makes sure it’s safe to fire. Eventually I’d like to have the wood and metal restored. I’ve been saving hulls from my browning gold and figured I could cut a few hulls down and have fun loading some. The Dixie hammers are not an exact match but at least I’ll have a pair of matching hammers in it eventually. I gave up looking for the exact replacement hammers years ago...I don’t they they exist!

Don’t know much about it. It has “396” stamped on both the barrel and receiver.

Cory Rams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post: