Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Crack in VH barrel?
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Pauly B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Unhappy Crack in VH barrel?

I have seen radial cracks in Damascus barrels, but I was just looking at a barrel that came from a VH that appears to have a crack about 1/2" long (looks pretty straight) running lengthwise about 4" below the choke. It looks like there was a dent raised from the area. Have any of you seen this sort of thing before? The barrel holds air pressure, but I haven't tried plugging it and filling it with gasoline to see if it actually leaks. I can sort of see it inside, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing a crack, or just remnants of the old dent.

If it is cracked can these be repaired? Or, is this yet another set of Parker barrels doomed to be cut?

If it can be repaired who can I send them to?

Thanks!! All thoughts and ideas welcome.
Paul Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Cracked barrel
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Cracked barrel

I believe Brad Bachelder can lazer weld them, 616-459-3636. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

How common are these radial cracks in damascus barrels ? I have twist barrels, and there is something in the left tube that looks like a radial crack. Are these cracks common, do they tend to be superficial, are they a death knell to a set of barrels ?

...or, can they be welded, as has been suggested here ?

It's a shame, 'cause I love the gun.
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Depending on it's orientation, a dent can turn into a crack when raised in twist barrels
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

1903 H Grade Lefever "Best London Damascus Twist" with fractured barrel

Crack where a dent was (inexpertly) raised

The only fracture that I would weld and then shoot would need to be very close to the muzzle (where the pressure is much lower) and with an adequate wall thickness.
NO WAY would I shoot a gun with a crack in a dent welded. The wall thickness would likely be quite thin.

Or you could try this

Last edited by Drew Hause; 05-08-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

JB Weld and some cold blue.

In all seriousness, I have seen a patch welded over a crack and the gun had shot fine for many years.

Not suggesting either of course. But maybe a person can defy convention, think outside the box. Cut the damaged barrel back and leave the other long. Write a Parker Pages article " A Most Unusual Parker" and wait for all the sages to pummel you.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Damn...

I guess I'll just use the right barrel.
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Today Damascus or Twist barrels with cracks are pretty rare. A radial crack or seperation is usually the result of imperfect joining of the iron and steel rods and most guns with barrels with this occurance have long since been rebarreled or destroyed in some manner. I would think most guns that would have blown a barrel because of imperfections would have done so by now if they were shot regularly.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wonder of it's possible that it isn't a crack then ?????

Of course, what else could it be ?

I had the barrels inspected by "one of the best" - and he didn't really seem to see it (????). He never really gave me a good answer to "what IS it that I see ?" He lightly honed the bores, and that really cleaned up a lot of the minor pitting, but it didn't make the "crack" go away. "Off the record", he basically told me that "...if it was his gun, he'd just shoot it with light/appropriate loads."

As a layman, who am I to challenge his statement, but as an educated person - I know what I see, and I am uneasy...

I just wish it could be readily fixed by welding, without the weld looking real obvious.
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

For piece of mind, you can use any of several NDT (Non Destructive Testing) methods to determine if what you're seeing is a real crack.
These methods include Radiographic inspection, Liquid penetrant inspection, Magnetic particle inspection or shear wave ultasonic inspection.
All of these can be performed by any of several nationwide testing companies, such as MQS, who have labs in all major manufacturing areas.
All, except Liquid penetrant, require expensive testing equipment, and are done by trained NDT, level II or Level III inspectors. You can buy a relatively inexpensive Liquid Penetrant test kit at most welding supply houses, and the basic test is not difficult, though level of severity in a detected result is only gotten from training and experience.
A less definitive test, but more a go-no go test is to use kerosene, which has a very low surface tension. Pour some kerosene down the barrel, making every effort to keep it from coming in contact with the outside. Allow it to sit a few minutes, drain it off, and dust the outside with baby powder. The kerosene will come through all but the tightest knit crack, and the baby powder will immediately absorb any that came through, showing a crack.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:

Tags
barrel, repair, vulcan