Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Removing blued metal
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Default Removing blued metal

I've run across many Parkers, and other guns, that have had their metal parts blued when they were CCH originally. If the bluing is removed by using vinegar or other chemicals, what is the resultant look of the metal? Will it look exactly like it did just prior to bluing or does the bluing leave a residual color to the metal?
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

The bluing I have removed left the barrels clean and shiny with no trace of damascus , the frame ended looking a dull greyish, which I like, and the sideplates seemed to look like they had been unmessed with, or faded original. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holes View Post
The bluing I have removed left the barrels clean and shiny with no trace of damascus , the frame ended looking a dull greyish, which I like, and the sideplates seemed to look like they had been unmessed with, or faded original. Dave
Dave,
Do you have a pic of a frame that had the bluing removed? The VH 20 gage in my Avatar has a blued frame and I was reluctant to remove the bluing for fear the frame had been polished prior to being blued.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm not interested in what the barrel bluing would look like, just the CCH metal.
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

You can remove bluing by using vinegar on the surface of the metal. It will leave a dull gray silver look.

If a reciever was blued, it would have been polished before bluing, thus removing any trace of the original Case colors. So removing the bluing will not help there. Those original case colors are gone for good. The case hardening remains though.

If you want to get color back, the only way is to re-color case harded the parts. If you just want to remove the bluing, then you can do so and then polish to a silver finish. I think a silvered Parker frame looks better than a blued one any day of the week.
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Brian, that's what I wanted to know.
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Chuck, from what I have seen, Brian is 100% right. The bluing isn't hard to remove, its what isn't left underneath that would make me shy away from a blued Parker. These guns were blued by people who didn't know or didn't care about Parkers, so the engraving gets buffed out and the corners get rounded. So you get the blue off, then you have to pick up the engraving and you never get the detailed edges right, then you get new case colors over, and you have a $2000 bill if you want the cc's done by somebody good.

I suppose there would be situations where it could work out economically, but for most guns bluing relegates them to the field gun use and keep using class. If a fellow was just looking for a beat through the brush gun, then a blued frame Parker might be something to consider.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you go to my albums D10ga. there are pictures of said gun. It is a 1 frame 12 ga. hammer.It was totally blued and Brad did barrels and I did the rest. Bruce is right about these being field quality. Barrels were rounded at breach and had to be reengraved there. But the other side is it turned out very nice and is fun to shoot. I have also fitted a set of stub twist barrels with 28 ga. tubes to this gun , now it is twice the fun. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Holes For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
jimcaron
Forum Associate

Member Info

It is a shame case coloring doesn't last as long as it does. I think it is one of the most gorgeous finishes you could ever put on a gun. And I agree with leaving the receivers white. Bluing over a receiver just covers up all that great detail. it's like finger painting over a Rembrandt.
Sure You can do it, but why would you want to?

-JimC
jimcaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

I have found often times when the frame of a Parker has been blued both receiver and barrels were improperly hot blued. I am told that process will result in trouble as the bluing salts attack the rib solder and rib separation is highly likely. I also believe subjecting a CCH receiver to a hot blue salt bath anneals the metal and removes whatever hardening was made by the CCH process. Perhaps Brad Bachelder or others here with greater knowledge of the process can explain all the negatives that process can bring.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote