Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Baking Soda Wash After Acid Dip on Damascus Barrels
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Baking Soda Wash After Acid Dip on Damascus Barrels

I have always been instructed to use baking soda to neutralize the acid wash on Damascus barrels, but the soda itself is too abrasive on the finish when I rub the barrels down, in my experience. Could I dissolve the baking soda in a tub of water and wash the barrels in that after rubbing the barrels with OOOO steel wool? Would it accomplish the same thing?
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Ed:
It ought to. Baking soda is a base. You want to neutralize the acid of the browner. This technique works on car battery terminals just fine.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

there is a wonderful new book just published that addresses this issue and other gun restoration topics. go to:

http://www.vintageshotgun.com

for your copy.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
I have always been instructed to use baking soda to neutralize the acid wash on Damascus barrels, but the soda itself is too abrasive on the finish when I rub the barrels down, in my experience. Could I dissolve the baking soda in a tub of water and wash the barrels in that after rubbing the barrels with OOOO steel wool? Would it accomplish the same thing?
This was discussed a few years back on the doublegunshop site. I may have asked the same question back then as I was developing a damascus coloring process from Dr Gaddy's artcle in DGJ and other posts on the doublegunshop site. Around that time, it appears that there were a good number of members of that site that went forward with all the information and successfully resurrected/developed the process. Some of them were concerned about neutralizing the ferric chloride.

I believe I raised the question about using baking soda for this. Some said it should work fine. The thought in mind was to make a solution in a tank and let the barrels sit in it for some length of time like 10 minutes, while agitating to ensure it gets inbetween the ribs. I didn't think direct application and carding with baking soda was necessary.

However, soaps are bases too. Some members were using soapy water rinses and clear rinses, if I recall. That's what I did.

If you're using a strong acid to etch the iron lower than the steel, I think it's an incorrect finish for Parkers. There's a lot on original Parker damascus (and other guns) finish in DGJ and over on the doublegunshop site.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Baking soda
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Baking soda

I just completed my first attempt at restoring damascus on this set of G grade barrels that have their fair share of dings and certainly don't qualify as collectible. I followed the instructions in the articles and threads referenced above. If the Radio Shack etchant solution is about 30% as is claimed in some on-line articles, I found that I had to cut it down to about 2% before it stopped stripping off all the black even after just a second or two in the bath. The baking soda worked well for me after I learned that I had to rub (under running water) with the finger tips far more gently than I instinctively wanted to. Once I got that part down, it progressed fairly well. I did not do the logwood crystal boil, as some restorers apparently don't, and after over 15 rust, boil, card and etch sessions, I was ready to call my first attempt done. If you are taking off too much black with a gentle baking soda rub under running water, perhaps your etchant solution is too stout. I believe that was the primary problem that I was having at first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00676.jpg (501.1 KB, 15 views)
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Julian For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice job Justin, I'd be very pleased if I had that result my first attempt.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

lookin good... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great job. I fussed with the process a few years back and got no where with it. All the material I was reading was confusing regarding the Ferric Chloride etch strength. Once I figured out the strength of the etch, all was easy as pie.

Ruff,
What blueing solution did you use?
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Chuck,
As per an article I found on the 'net, I used the Pilkington's, diluted to about 50% strength after the first coating at full strength. I am only aware of two commercially available rust blue solutions...the Brownell's house brand and the Pilkington's. I've tried them both on fluid steel tubes and had better luck with the Pilkington's. If anyone knows of a better commercially available rust blue solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

RH,
I use Pilkingtons almost exclusively. Not that I favor it, just that it's my limited experience of what I have used. I do have some solution that I tried from someone claiming it was the original Winchester rust formula or produced the same result as Win. I really couldn't tell much if any difference.