Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-16-2023, 05:45 PM   #21
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Stock up while it’s available. Word is sometime in January the component and ammo prices will be going up dramatically due to sending ammo to both Ukraine and Middle East. You think it’s been expensive since the plandemic, buckle up.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-16-2023, 06:34 PM   #22
Ken
PGCA Member

Member Info

The pierced primers I had in the past have only been with cheddites I saw no reason to modify the firing pins. That was when they first came on the market maybe there better now, however, I'll not use them unless I have no choice.
Ken Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #23
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Stock up while it’s available. Word is sometime in January the component and ammo prices will be going up dramatically due to sending ammo to both Ukraine and Middle East. You think it’s been expensive since the plandemic, buckle up.
As they say in Pennsylvania Dutch country, "Mikey hat recht!". Very good local info around here (MD/VA) says the same thing since c. 1 December.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 09:58 PM   #24
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Went this past Weds to Richland Shooters Supply and scored the NS primers at $47/1000, 10 bags of the Heper shot which is the best shot I have ever used, an 8lb 20/28, 8lb Tightwad and 8lb of Clays believe it or not. Should carry me through until spring.
Hey now there,

You can’t be coming to Pa and buying all our reloading stock up, I thought Jim would screen his customers a little closer
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 10:02 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
8lbs of Clays, did they have any more?? I would give my first born for 8lbs of clays.
Yes sir that’s the number one go to powder for 8 gauge 1 1/2 ounce loads !
Unread 12-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #26
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Hey now there,

You can’t be coming to Pa and buying all our reloading stock up, I thought Jim would screen his customers a little closer
Cash money always welcome at Richland.
Unread 03-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #27
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Just an update after reloading with Nobelsports for a while now. They do work well, no different than any of the other familiar brands and much less expensive. Just one issue: I'll usually reload my preferred 12 ga Remington Gun Clubs with Cheddite primers, four times, then switch to Fiocchi primers for the last three reloads before shooting in a Model 12 and shucking the spent shells to the ground. I'd started to run out of my Fiocchi primers and began using the NS primers for the fifth reload. The NS primers are a very tight fit into Gun Club hulls (steel bases) even after having been reloaded 4x with Cheddites. My MEC 9000 Progressive will strain and loudly “click” as it overcomes the interference-fit and pushes the NS primer into the primer pocket. On the other hand, NS primers will seat normally into Rem STS and Winchester AA hulls with their softer brass bases, no heavy pushing and no clicking on the 9000.

Then when reloading the Gun Clubs with NS primers for the sixth and seventh (last) time the primer seats with normal pressure because the primer pockets have expanded ever so sightly.

Here's my current procedure for that fifth reload: I’ll deprime and reprime with Nobelsports using my heavy-duty Texan M-11 press, then transfer the primed hulls to station #2 on the MEC 9000 and finish loading as normal with it. A little extra time involved but I'm not taxing the 9000.

I don't reload anything but Gun Clubs, STS, Nitros and AA red and gray hulls and thus I don't know about how the Nobelsports seat when reloading any others.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2024, 10:13 AM   #28
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

The last time we had a shortage, maybe it was under Obama, I could not get Winchester primers so upon a recommendation from my friend Bob, I bought 5,000 NS primers but they came in the normal 100 count trays. Maybe one or two were missing the little covers on the non strike side in each tray of 100. Bob said that made no difference when shooting so I began loading. They were a bit large so I set aside a bunch of gun clubs to load only the NS primers. It was a bit of a struggle to load initially on my MEC 9000. At the time, there were no published loads out there but the word was they were the same as Win209's. I used all 5000 of them with no problem and no pierced primers. I threw out the hulls when I was done. There is certainly no shortage of Rem Gun Club hulls. Also, if you are loading low pressure, a small tick up or down in pressure should make no difference in safety for your old guns.
Milt Fitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milt Fitterman For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2024, 11:03 AM   #29
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

I had the fit problem with Cheddite in Gun Clubs once fired. My 9000 would struggle to seat them and a few would not seat and jam the table from rotating. A friend suggested using a drill bit one size smaller than 1/4 inch in a hand chuck such as used with a tap. One turn and a small piece of green plastic is cut out and the primer goes in easily. Only have to do it first loading.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2024, 11:36 AM   #30
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

I have been using the NS primers for over a year and found not one problem with them. I load Gun Clubs and the other Remington hulls like them in 12, 20 ga AACF and various hulls in 28. My MEC 9000 hydraulic doesn't even flinch when they are seated. I wish Remington would use that plastic that they use in their 12 ga hulls in their 28 ga.