Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

The Sporting Clays Classic
Unread 10-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Default The Sporting Clays Classic

Parker Reproduction’s Sporting Clays Classic model is my nominee for the Most Versatile Parker on the Planet. With only 125 of this model in existence there is a certain amount of exclusivity to those that are lucky enough to own one. The Sporting Clays Classic shown below, having 3” chambers, steel shot capability and 10 choke tubes — 2 SK, 2 IC, 2 MOD, 2 IM and 2 FULL, yields at my count, 50 possible combinations. In other words, it would require a total of 50 fixed choked guns to equal the versatility of just one Sporting Clays Classic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (490.2 KB, 80 views)
Unread 10-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

what a fine gun to own....i like thechokes on this gun.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

That one is a beauty, for sure!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very cool. Never knew they made one with spin in chokes.
Jeff Elder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Elder For Your Post:
Visit Jeff Elder's homepage!
Unread 10-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #5
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

FYI

The choke tubes on these guns were the Winchester Win-Chokes that Winchester was using at that time. This makes sense being as the repro's were being built under contract with Winchester in Japan.

These also weren't thin wall tubes and required the barrels to be expanded at the muzzles to accept them, so there will be a slight bulging of the barrels near the muzzle end of the barrels.

This isn't a big deal to me because it's just part of what is probably one of the most unique offerings available with the Parker reproductions.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2023, 10:08 AM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

If Krieghoff can swell their barrels, I see nothing wrong with doing it on a Japanese import
Unread 10-30-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Please do not confuse the bulging of Krieghoff and other maker’s barrels with the very slight flare of the Sporting Clays Classic. Back in the day when Parker Reproductions were producing these guns it was prudent of the manufacturer to maintain wall thickness through the choke tube area. During this time period thinwall choke tubes were in their infancy, manufacturers were cautioning against shooting steel loads through them and writers were writing and shooters were saying to be careful handling them for fear they’d dent or get out of round.

I get a kick out of those running around saying Sporting Clays Classic barrels are bulged, like it’s a terrible thing. They likely have never even seen or have never shot a round of anything with the Sporting Clays Classic — if they had, they might come away with a different opinion.

Shown below is a Sporting Clays Classic. Look closely for yourself, you might need a straight edge to detect the slight flare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ParkerReproductionSCC003.jpeg (108.9 KB, 457 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Just a point for clarification.

I wasn't trying to demean the sporting clays classics as being inferior in any way due to the flaring, bulging or whatever one wants to call it for the accommodation of the win-chokes.

My view was just from an instructional/informational standpoint. The PGCA is an educational organization about all things Parker shotgun related & this site is the online place for both the members & the general public go to gain knowledge of our beloved guns. With this in mind, my intension of mentioning the flaring was simply stating a matter of fact for educational purposes about this unique Parker reproduction offering.

The flaring is what it is & wouldn't bother me in the least. I would love to own one, but to others it might be a big deal.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #9
Phil Cloninger
PGCA Member

Member Info

Greg, I am a great fan of the SCC and love the choke holders you made for this SCC case...

As mentioned in an earlier post, I love my SCC, but also like 26" barrels for Upland.
I was able to purchase a set of the original 26", Q1 and Q2 barrels from Josh and have them fitted....We have made the most versatile PR just a bit more versatile with the addition of the 26" barrels.

Now I am looking for a PR two-barrel case in 28". The last time I checked, Josh didn't have one in that configuration. If anyone might have one for sale, or a lead on one, I would appreciate your letting me know.... Thanks!
Phil Cloninger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Cloninger For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

Some time back, I was informed on this site that there are more than one variation of the Sporting Clays Classic choke installation. One variation seems to have more flare than the one pictured here. The one pictured here shows very little or no flare. The other variation shows a very visible flare. They may have been a very early SCC, maybe a prototype.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote