Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #61
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i went this evening it was very quiet except for the wind blowing in the trees...i think all my turkeys flew north....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #62
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,119 Posts

At 3:00 am I checked the weather -- 25 mph winds and light drizzle. Thank goodness! I went back to sleep and pledged to go tomorrow. We have a week and and half left in our season, and I have a bird in the freezer...but I'd sure like to get one of the 6 Toms that have been gobbling at me for the past week. We'll see tomorrow. Thank goodness, there's a tomorrow.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
BETTER LUCKY THAN GOOD
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #63
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,705 Times in 876 Posts

Default BETTER LUCKY THAN GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0NP...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200429_095017.jpg (571.2 KB, 8 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #64
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,856 Times in 2,027 Posts

Garry, I have always hated the early mornings required for turkey hunting. Now, I never sleep in, have always got up at 6:00am, but just don't function well if I have to get up at 4:00. I have killed a lot of birds by not getting into the woods until after 8:00 am. Let them hen up, but by 9-10:00 the hens will leave them, and they will be on the prowl again. This past Sat., I was half asleep in an old lawn chair I had put up in the field, when a bird gobbled a couple hundred yds away and woke me up. He saw my decoy, heard my calls and later became my first turkey killed with a Parker- at 10:15 am.

Hey jerry, are those 3" TSS shells? Looks like they certainly did their job?
Unread 04-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #65
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie if they want to come North they will need web feet. Between snow, rain and tonight/tomorrows monsoons tomorrows turkey opener would be best done from my duckboat. Good luck to all and stay safe.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #66
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

tomorrow is the last day of the turkey season for us in Mississippi...I will try to go to see if mr tom is going to cooperate one more time...will go back to my job of clearing a 5 acre field I let grow up and now trying to reclaim it... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #67
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,119 Posts

One of the great things about hunting is that I get to see and experience new things each and every season. This turkey season was no exception. I finally managed to get set-up correctly on some gobblers I've been hunting this season. Although I think Harold and Mills are spot-on regarding the improving chances one has by waiting until later in the day to call a Tom, I chose the opposite strategy and went in extra early. The problem was that the birds were roosting in some isolated timber in a drainage that was surrounded by large open fields. There was also a deep and treacherously muddy creek that precluded a more direct approach. So, to avoid trespassing on the adjacent landowner, I had to take a circuitous route that made my trek in over three miles. I also had to go in under the cover of darkness, thus the extra early walk in. I set up as close as I could to what I hoped was their roost with about an hour and a half before shooting light. As dawn approached, and just from where I'd hoped he would be, a bird gobbled at a barred owl's call...and then continued to gobble until fly-down.

Here's the "new experience" part of this hunt. There were two Toms roosted together, and they continued to gobble at each other for about 30 minutes, just over a slope in the field that kept them out of sight. Finally, one of the birds shifted over the crest of the slope and started to move my way. I had given only a purr and cluck to them just after fly-down to let them know there was a hen in my direction. Too much calling here would not work as my set-up spot had only sparse cover and I was sure a bird would see me before he got close enough to shoot if he was looking in my direction for a hen. I just wanted to coax them my way.

The Tom strutted and drummed closer, and then at about 50-60 yards the periscope went up and I could tell he was scanning my cover. He stepped a little closer and I chanced a shot. He went down quickly. The other Tom gobbled at the shot and did not fly away, although I still could not see him. I decided to wait to see what the other bird would do. In 45 years of hunting turkeys I've had three instances of other Toms jumping on a bird I'd shot. They are so programmed to fight off rivals, they don't care about the noise of a shot. This time when my bird flopped in his death throes, the other Tom jumped him and started pecking away. He finally left, but came back again and again as my bird would shudder every now and then. I watched this for about 10-15 minutes. I'm sure the Tom would have continued to attack my bird, but I finally decided my back and legs just needed to be stretched, so I got up. The Tom ran off and I went to retrieve my bird. Since the downed bird was just at the slope of the field, I could only see his wings thrash from my vantage point, not being able to clearly see all of him. I was surprised to find that the other Tom had plucked most of the feathers from my bird's neck. I now wonder if I'd not stood up and spooked off the other bird, if he would have completely plucked my bird for me.

Every day's a new day in the field...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6873 2.jpg (519.6 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #68
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,856 Times in 2,027 Posts

Great hunt and story Garry, congratulations, you really earned that bird! I looked at the picture first, and wondered what the heck happened to its neck, figured you must have carried it out of the woods by the neck. Your strategy of getting in super early is a good one--I just hate getting up that early in order to do that--of course, you need to know where the turkeys are roosting. My best friend uses your strategy, he is always settled in long before daylight.
What were you shooting? Well, at least you can sleep in tomorrow. When does the season end for you?
Unread 05-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #69
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,328 Times in 12,399 Posts

In VT we can shoot 2 bearded birds in the spring and one of either sex in the fall. In the spring we can shoot both birds on the same day. Twice I have killed my second bird while he was thrashing my downed bird.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #70
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,687 Times in 1,865 Posts

Way to go Garry. I do not recall ever having a bird thrashed that I had taken with a gun although it may have. Archery killed birds are another story as I have had that happen numerous times. They will hang in there for the most part and abuse the downed bird about as long as you can endure the show.

On another note I like to take the breast and cut it into chunks not to thick, say about 1/2" max. Cube it with a hand held cuber, marinate over night in Zesty Italian dressing, right out of the marinade into your favorite flour or breading and then cook over medium heat. Tender and yummy.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post: