Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 ga loads
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 8 ga loads

today i started reloading and shooting the 8 ga at 9.00 am and quit at 3.15 pm...i fired the 8 ga a total of 63 times....my main reson was to try and come up with a slug load for hunting deer with.....in todays trial and error i learnt a few things..i was reloading the whinster case and using bluedot powder and working with a 7/8 ounce load of no 6 shot....in my previous loadings i had trouble with the loads acting like a slug load..in other words shot would not scatter...today i found exactly what the problem was.. the wading i was using over shot was going inside of the wad...no air could catch the side of the wading thus it all stayed together acting as a slug load.......2nd thing i learned was thati am going to have to practice a whole lot before i can acuately shoot it.....my target was a 30 inch card board circle... the distance was 40 yards....the grouping was aabout 1 foot..which is not to good by any means....the old shotgun was a 8 ga parker lifter gun with barrels cut to 26 1/4 inches...choke none...the end bead site is huge but fits the size of gun that it is...wish it hadrifle sites but would look odd...ha......3rd thing i learned was that the man who said that a 7/8 ounce load and a 6 bore would pattern the best possible pattern must have been right.... i do not have a6 bore to experment with but through a 8 ga i do...some of the patterns were notreally beliveable..one of the patterns to day was all the shot in a pie plate at 40 yards....all my loads were not that good of a pattern still got to work on them...the test were also done with same gun....cly bore with the rite loads may be possible to have a long range load in the larger gauges....only through more test will i know if i have come up with some very close patterning shells with only using 7/8 ounce shot...one thing for sure i have me a slug load using 7/8 ounce of no sixs...if i can learn how to hit with it......4 th and final thing learned...after you have loaded the plastic shells about 5 timesignition gets poor...the gas seal is not good getting a blooper pretty often..you would have to get a nther shell case but i fond by wrapping the wading with3/4 inch scotch masking tap with four wraps to bottom of wadding letting tape extend 1.4 inch below wadding that a gas seal is made that there will be no poor ignition...hope this helps somebody sure did me... gotta get some sleep gotta get up early go squirl hunting.......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Charlie,

You might check with Craig Smith at Cirlre Fly Wads. One of the things he found with fiber wads and guns with no choke is that there is no constriction to "catch" the felt wad as it exits the muzzel and that it will blow the pattern. you might try just two over shot cards and no cushion wad to see if you get a better spread. Another thing about cylinder bore guns is that with small shot you will get a big pattern and with buck shot you will get a very small patern. I have shot single hole patterns with triple-ought buck out of a cylinder bore gun at 25 yards. Keep us up to date as I know I wish I were there to help relieve your shoulder of some of the burden.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

the squirl hunting today was on the poor side...wind got high after i got in the woods..only seen 1 squirl that old 10 ga hammer gun took care of him....35 grains of bluedot and a 1 1/4 ounce shotof 6s make a good low recoil shell for squirls....harry i wish had been here to help me solve some some of these problems with this old cannon....seriosly i had no shoulder discomfort... i was only using 35 grains of bluedot and 7/8 ounce shot...like shooting a20 ga....but i do have the slug load figured out with very little recoil...but will probably have to keep my yardage short to about 30 yards unless i get to shooting better...harry do you think that 000 buckshot will lay better in a 8 ga hull than 00 buck will...i have some 00 buck that tom armbrust loaded for me...they will really shoot good and pattern fine....i took a doe last year with the buckshot....i have loaded my own 00 buck but would like to try ooo buck... what do you think about it....charlie
Unread 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I have never relaoded OOO buck. I'm not sure how many you would use. I think there are nine in a 12 gauge load and that is a lot of .36 lead balls going down range. What slug are you using and where did you find them. Are they round balls?

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Years back I built a 8ga muzzle loader O/U for goose hunting. I used 30, 32 cal round balls [4oz of shot] and 400grs of 1F powder. At 30yds a goose was safe because, as I found out latter, buckshot should be loaded so there is a even layer of shot, filler added to keep it in place, then another layer of shot and filler, and so on [ saw an article with high speed photos by White Labitories]. If it's just dumped in and not stacked evenly, as it travels down the barrel the buckshot will try and fit in the pockets causing them to be deformed so bad all you'll get is flyers. The next year I went to BB's and with .008 choke could kill them at 60yds. So for buckshot you may get best results by useing the right size for the gauge gun you're useing. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I use Guage Mates in my 8&1/2 pound 10ga to accept 20ga shells. It patterns just fine and the recoil is nothing. They make an 8ga insert (as well as a 4ga!) on order and you can reduce it to any of the lesser guages.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

harry the 8 ga slug load is just a remington sp8 wad filled with 7/8 ounce of no. 6 shot with a 1/2 inch filler wad stuck in the end of wad....this round will stay intact up to 60 yards....only thing is accuracy only good at about 60 yards... groups together at about 12 to 14 inches at 60 yards.....this load will destroy a 5 gallon bucket filled with water at 60 yards..... paul sure would have liked to have seen that bp. 8 ga....did i understand it was a over and under.....man that thing would have to have been a turkey hunters dream gun........paul im just hoping that the 000 buck will lay in place better than 00 buck......good info about the filler between layers of buckshot.... fred i have used tge gauge mates in a couple of my 10 ga. they work great and are the ticket forthese old doubles... thanks for the info though....ive even fired a 3 inch 12 ga load through throgh the ga mates will flatten a turkey good.......charlie
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

loaded up some special loads tonight for the 8 ga....grabed my flashlight and went hunting for the feared creature of the night the fearsome armadillo.....needless to say he was warned somehow as i never saw a hair of one...oh well some other night ..... charlie