Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 01-17-2024, 03:16 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Very nice, I hope to get a similar picture some day.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2024, 07:32 AM   #12
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

That is spectacular Dean!!!

I would love to hear more about the Grade 6, I thought Parker Laminated barrels were more common on Grades 3 & 4, have you encountered these barrels on many higher grades?

Thanks,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2024, 08:13 AM   #13
Tennessee Dave
PGCA Member

Member Info

Awesome guns, Thanks for sharing them.
David Livesay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Livesay For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2024, 08:22 AM   #14
Dean Weber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,259 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
That is spectacular Dean!!!

I would love to hear more about the Grade 6, I thought Parker Laminated barrels were more common on Grades 3 & 4, have you encountered these barrels on many higher grades?

Thanks,
Stan
Stan, we talked about this gun previously in this thread. Gun is 2 barrel set, 1 Damascus and 1 Parker Laminated.
https://parkerguns.org/forums/showth...ighlight=grade

Unfortunately, my pictures seemed to have gone missing. Probably user error on the picture hosting site.

Here are couple to enhance the thread.

Unread 01-17-2024, 08:40 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I once counted the number of grades listed in the Serialization book that included the L designation (e.g. L4 or L3 or L5 and so on) covering the three-year period encompassing the manufacture of Parker-made Laminated Steel barrels, 1877-1879 and for a couple of years following 1879, and came up with something like 300+ guns manufactured. Certainly it is unknown if these “L” guns actually had Parker-made barrels, or if they were rough tubes sourced in England or Belgium, but I think we can safely presume the vast majority were. I counted two L2 guns and similarly few L6 guns, the majority being L3 through L5.
This doesn’t answer the question asked and certainly there likely will never be an accurate count.
The Parker-made Laminated Steel barrels will always be an interesting subject and will always be high on the collectibility scale.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2024, 09:24 AM   #16
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

these would make a great photo for the cover of Parker Pages
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2024, 09:30 AM   #17
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,032 Times in 442 Posts

Fantastic group!
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2024, 09:38 AM   #18
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

I have studied TPS on the subject, and as I read it, the Parker Laminate barrels were intended(?) to be used on Grades 2,3, and 4. The production records they give seem to support this. However, as Dean has pointed out before, there seem to be a few higher grade guns that were fitted with them. What makes them hard to track is that, to me, it appears that Parker tended to view their own Laminate barrels as superior to others in that they installed them on Damascus Grade guns along with normal Damascus grade appropriate barrels. I think that may be in line with the above note that they are a separate form of Damascus (Tonsin).

I have two lifters with Parker Laminate barrels and am negotiating for another. The two I now own are split. One appears in the serialization book as a Damascus grade and one as a Laminate grade. However, they both have original laminate barrels, even though there is no mention in the Letters. I actually obtained a Letter on the one I am trying to buy, and it Lettered as a Damascus gun and is shown in the serialization book as such.

About a year ago, I searched through old posts here, and quickly located about a dozen guns shown in posts which were recorded as Damascus guns but had original Parker Laminate barrels. Compared to the number of L guns listed in the records, this number just in one quick search session seems significant. We know Parker put a lot of effort into setting up and making these barrels and they prominately reported on this fact at the time. It had to be a point of pride to them. It would only be logical I think that they pushed their use. There is no way to know with the records we have, but I think they may have simply used them as a Damascus equal on their mid grade guns.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2024, 11:35 AM   #19
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Beautiful hammer guns Dean. I remember in the TPS there were a run of 34 and a few 36 " barreled O frame 16s. I have that battered set of 34" O frame 16 twist barrels, along with the fore arm, receiver, minus the right hammer, but without a stock, a grade O. Ihad hoped to restore it, or at least have the barrels fitted to my current grade O 16 TL hammer gun. Both Dave Fjelline and John Hosford looked at the set but passed on fitting them.
Curious, Ill look at the ser# and you can see see if it is in the same range as yours.
Unread 01-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #20
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

That Grade 6 seems to be the Leader of the Band!
Beautiful collection!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote