Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pellets in a 30" circle at 40 Yards
Unread 07-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Pellets in a 30" circle at 40 Yards

I know that this has been cussed and discussed "ad nauseam" here, but I woll make this inquiry/observation more specific. I own two 30" barrel 12 bore parkers, first a DH Damascus 1 frame gun, the second a VH Vulcan 2 frame gun.
The letter for the DH states that the gun should target RH 325 pellets, and LH 350 pellets using 1 1/8ths oz of #7 shot. Shot at a 30" circle at 40 yards.

The letter for the VH specifies RH and LH 275 pellets of #7 shot at an 1 1/8 oz, shot at 40 yards. at a 30" circle.

Couple of questions:

Do we assume that in 1889, when the DH was made, that everyone was still using English measured shot diameters? English measure of 1 1/8th of 7's would be around 382 pellets, making the DH shoot 85%R and 92%L. If the pellet count were American (337pellets) the gun would shoot 96% R and 104% L.

The VH on the other hand would shoot 72% in each barrel (English measure) , and 82% each barrel (American measure).

So, by my reckoning, both guns are "full choke" with the DH being super full and crazy super full"?? I also makes me wonder what loads with plastic shot cups might do to the business end of the DH?