Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Wooden dowel in buttstock - did they add weights ?
Unread 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Wooden dowel in buttstock - did they add weights ?

I was taking pictures of my Parker "Folsom trap gun" last night. (A ca. 1886 hammer 12 ga.)

When I removed the buttplate, I saw a round wooden dowel (approx. 1/2" in diameter) centered between the two screw holes. It was approx. 1/16" proud of the surrounding wood.

Oddly enough, I'm sure I removed the buttplate in the past, but I must have been too blind to notice this !!!! I recall a grouse hunt with the RGS, in which this gun got totally soaked in the rain - I wonder if the resultant swelling made the dowel protrude from the surrounding wood ?

Regardless - my question is this: I recall an old thread that stated Parker didn't start using the hickory dowels until the 1890's. Plus, being located exactly between the screw holes is not where the patent drawing shows the reinforcing dowel being located (Dean posted this patent drawing a while back).

Did Parker drill out the butt, add some weight - and then close off the hole with the dowel ? Was that common on those Folsom Parkers ? (The letter doesn't mention that...) This hammer gun is a #1 frame, with 30" barrels, and the letter claims 7 pounds, 14 ounces. Is that a typical weight ? The gun balances somewhere between the hinge pin and a point maybe as much as 1/2" toward the breech (roughly said, it balances at the hinge pin).

It just seems odd...

The gun does have Remington repair codes, but no old cracks are seen, so why would they add the reinforcement ?

Any ideas ?
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

It is probably more common to find evidence of a wooden plug that caps off the hole bored for adding a lead weight billet for balance than to find one that is actually the end of a patented hickory reinforcing rod in the butt.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,069 Posts

My 16ga Trojan has a similar dowel which I asked about some time back, here:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3917

I ultimately took it to my dentist who was also a gun enthusiast. He x-rayed it for me; it extends into the stock about 3". No evidence of the hole going in further, nor evidence of any weight, etc. A mystery!
Unread 02-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

I had a early lifter once that had 3 holes drilled in the butt under the plate and they were all filled with lead. That explained why it felt so butt heavy being a 28" 1 frame with straight grip.

Likely your plug is either capping a hole that is there for adding weight, or reducing weight.

Could have been done at any time.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Unless a dowel is made of a wood as dense as walnut they should decrease the weight a very small amount. As for moisture making a dowel 'stretch', that is unlikely if it the dowel was properly quarter sawn with the grain parallel to the dowel. The moisture content of wood has very little bearing on shrinkage and swelling parallel to the grain.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Not really sure what they were for but these plugged holes were in the back end of a 16 gage CHE I once owned. I always assumed they were for balance as I don't recall a pat. date stamped in the stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0344.JPG (87.4 KB, 1 views)
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

I too, once had a 10 ga. Parker hammergun with a 1" hole bored in the center of the buttstock and half-filled with a lead plug then capped with a wood plug.

Larry, the diameter of both of yours are too large for the hickory rod's diameter of about 5/8"
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fascinating stuff - thanks guys !

John
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Could some of the mystery holes have been drilled to remove checking in the end of a pc to ensure the crack does not continue opening thus destroying the stock over time?

I would guess that would save many a blank from being deemed unsuitable and unusable.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
Could some of the mystery holes have been drilled to remove checking in the end of a pc to ensure the crack does not continue opening thus destroying the stock over time?

I would guess that would save many a blank from being deemed unsuitable and unusable.
i suppose anything is possible - but the holes seem to have been centered and drying checks I have seen are not always that accommodating

Plus - with Parker's pride in their product, I'd like to think they were not that miserly