Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Bird hunters liked straight grip stocks because they look good.
I may be wrong, but I think even non-bird hunters would agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
IMHO PG's are fine for single trigger guns, but double trigger guns allow me to adjust grip to more smoothly reach the rear trigger.
My two Meriden 28s are straight gripped, as is my 28 Repro. Additionally, they are all double trigger guns. This notwithstanding, I find with a PG gun, in the thick cover I hunt in, my grip hand is always where it needs to be when I have to bring the gun up quickly.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #22
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
I'm trying to understand why anyone would pay $4,350 for a 20 ga Repro when one could probably find a 20 ga VH in the same configuration for close to the same cost?
David Trevallion, one of the more experienced and accomplished stock makers of our time wrote this: "Parker Reproduction guns are in every respect - equal to - or superior to the originals."

Maybe, just maybe, the above quote authored by Trevallion in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue of Shooting Sportsman Magazine may help you to understand.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25908
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

I’m primarily a bird hunter and shoot Skeet and other forms of clays games just to “stay in it” in the off season.
I prefer a straight grip because I find it faster and easier to handle a straight grip over a pistol grip. A heavier gun shooting a heavier load, for me, wants a pistol grip so I can better pull the gun back into my shoulder in order to mitigate the recoil

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Dean, those are my sentiments exactly. I shoot skeet and trap just to stay in shape for the field. I always shoot low gun on skeet for this reason.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #25
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
David Trevallion, one of the more experienced and accomplished stock makers of our time wrote this: "Parker Reproduction guns are in every respect - equal to - or superior to the originals."

Maybe, just maybe, the above quote authored by Trevallion in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue of Shooting Sportsman Magazine may help you to understand.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25908
Yeah, I've read all that before and my previous comments and the ones that follow have nothing to do with the quality of the Repros. I'll also preface the following with an admission that I have never shot, let alone hunted, an actual Parker 28 ga, but I have hunted several original (real) Parkers in 16 and 20 as well as repros in 16, 20, and 28 and for whatever reason, repros just feel different to me and because repros don't have 100-years of wear, they don't look the same either.. I'm sure it's psychological, but they don't feel like real Parkers to me.

I can understand the desire to own a 28 repro, if for no other reason than they are a good value for a 28 ga and they will hold that value compared to guns from Spain, Italy, Turkey or Japan, but I can't see spending $4,500 on a 20 ga Repro when I can get a nice, original VH for the same (or less) money, especially a Repro with short barrels, single trigger, and a pg.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #26
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I am becoming a big fan of Prince of Wales grips. As for the original question, straight grips look better but most of my guns have pistol grips so I am more used to shooting pistol grips
Unread 02-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #27
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Interesting discussion. PG vs English/Straight has always seemed more personal preference that technical superiority, but that's a conversation for another thread.

Let's switch this up a bit: hypothetically, how much would the gun have sold for if it were a 28 in the same configuration?
I apologize for taking this thread off track discussing SC vs PG. Back to the question I ask in my first post?

Thanks,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #28
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I've read all that before and my previous comments and the ones that follow have nothing to do with the quality of the Repros. I'll also preface the following with an admission that I have never shot, let alone hunted, an actual Parker 28 ga, but I have hunted several original (real) Parkers in 16 and 20 as well as repros in 16, 20, and 28 and for whatever reason, repros just feel different to me and because repros don't have 100-years of wear, they don't look the same either.. I'm sure it's psychological, but they don't feel like real Parkers to me.
I feel much the same and find myself wondering, walking with one of my 'old' guns, about the men who carried them before me. There isn't any question about the quality of Parker Reproductions, and I'm sure fifty or one hundred years from now, men will walk with those guns and feel much the same. Those guns will last, and my old guns will be that much older and may impart some of my joy to them as well. Feelings are very much psychological, and are as different as we all are. I take no offense at the intensity of lovers of Repros, though I often wonder, if they have the blessing to walk with an 'old' gun, if they don't also feel something special about them.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #29
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

"Having said this there's a couple that have posted in this thread that would probably disagree with that. The old lady often said as she kissed the cow's a$$, "To each their own taste." "

Now I never heard that saying before. Made me laugh so hard I spit out my coffee!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #30
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

I have both original Parkers and Repros. I grew up shooting here in New England my grandfathers 16 ga vh on grouse and woodcock. When I hunt with that old 16 (circa 1927), I often find myself reflecting on my grandfather and Dad hunting with it.
Having said all that, my Repros ,all 20 ga, are very special to me and fun to handle and shoot..My grandson s will probably re.ember their grandfather hunting with it as they take it to the field or range. What goes around, comes around. I should add that my Repros are straight grips. My original Parkers are all pistol grips. I do like the straight grips though.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: