Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #51
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,353 Times in 12,409 Posts

Ian, you were comparing apples to oranges when you insisted we adopt your tenets on desirability of "antique" Winchesters and apply them to our Parker collecting preferences.... it doesn't work and now we're the ones who are "self absorbed”?

We hope you find a nice Parker.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #52
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,915 Times in 4,776 Posts

The percentage of know nothings is very high over on the Winchester site, including, maybe especially, a certain moderator. You are using a poor example to prove your ridiculous point. I have been a "Baltimore guy" for more than fifty years and know a little about Winchesters and Parkers. On many sites, you would be known as "Are you a kid?". That is the suspicion of many of us here. "Are you a kid?" As our poster CL says, "Go away".
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #53
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Yes, the GHE was evaluated in another thread. Various opinions were given.

Over in the Classified section right now there is a very nice DH with Damascus barrels and antique, which is more desirable, for sale at $1850 and a GH for sale at $1895, also with Damascus barrels, but not antique. In similar condition to the GHE. Both haven't jumped off the shelf. Seems like $1800 is a stretch for the GHE in today's market.

In the GHE thread, 12 gauges were described as a boat anchor. That's where I got that from.
Ian, the GH was spoken for the first day it was posted. I believe the gun was priced very fairly. If the GHE you are looking at is in the same condition it should fetch more than a GH. I believe it should be priced in the $2500-$3000 range and that would be a "priced to sell" price.
Joseph Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Flynn For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #54
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
"Are you a kid?". That is the suspicion of many of us here. "Are you a kid?" As our poster CL says, "Go away".
And what is "are you a kid" supposed to mean?

My general impression of this forum is it's clique, a bunch of good old boys who spend all day putting "likes" on their friend's posts.

Look around you, folks! Wake up. The gun collecting world is full of grey haired folks. Some day you will have no one to sell your Parkers to. Being condescending doesn't help.

I seriously doubt I'll renew my "Parker Pages". Now that Parkers have become more affordable for middle class folks, like me, I thought I would develop an interest in them.

I think I'll see if I can purchase my friend's GHE and maybe I succeed, maybe I don't. And then call it a day.

This group of Parker collectors is just way too snooty for me. I'll stick to my smoke filled American Legions and VFWs where I fit in, once social distancing ends. I'll be sure to wave as you pass by in your Rolls on the way to the country club.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #55
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 641 Posts

Ian...you got some great advice in several of your threads/posts and decided not to listen(or didn't like the answers). I would use the energy you are taking in telling this group that they might not know what they are talking about and go get that GHE.

Show up with a bottle of whiskey and some documentation from this forum. It seemed to me you were more focused on a good deal instead of a good Parker. If the range in value is 2-3K and you paid at the top of the range it may be worth if you really like the gun and the seller is a friend. The ejectors do add significant value. I would explain you want the gun and like that it was part of your friend's family/collection...then close the deal. Many collectors like to see there guns go on to someone the know so that may help.

By the way, I might not put a premium on it, but I agree with you that an antique gun is icing on the cake in terms of transactional purposes. Get your CR License too...it's easy and all the big events and auction houses will accept it. Some dealers may insist on an FFL and that is their prerogative. I use my C&R all the time, every collector should have one.

I have learned so much from this group, but I try to listen just as much as I talk.

Get that GHE and start shooting it, you will glad you did...
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #56
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
Ian...you got some great advice in several of your threads/posts and decided not to listen(or didn't like the answers). I would use the energy you are taking in telling this group that they might not know what they are talking about and go get that GHE.

Show up with a bottle of whiskey and some documentation from this forum. It seemed to me you were more focused on a good deal instead of a good Parker. If the range in value is 2-3K and you paid at the top of the range it may be worth if you really like the gun and the seller is a friend. The ejectors do add significant value. I would explain you want the gun and like that it was part of your friend's family/collection...then close the deal. Many collectors like to see there guns go on to someone the know so that may help.

By the way, I might not put a premium on it, but I agree with you that an antique gun is icing on the cake in terms of transactional purposes. Get your CR License too...it's easy and all the big events and auction houses will accept it. Some dealers may insist on an FFL and that is their prerogative. I use my C&R all the time, every collector should have one.

I have learned so much from this group, but I try to listen just as much as I talk.

Get that GHE and start shooting it, you will glad you did...
I never considered a C & R license as the vast majority of my stuff is pre 1899. It is something worth considering I suppose. The potential for an ATF audit has held me back.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #57
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,657 Times in 4,633 Posts

Quote:
I never considered a C & R license as the vast majority of my stuff is pre 1899. It is something worth considering I suppose. The potential for an ATF audit has held me back.

The C&R is well worth the money if you buy a lot of guns that are 50 years old or more. And if you buy more than one gun on it, it has paid for itself. You may run into some fuss with sellers that wont accept them. But most do.

The ATF would have to really have nothing to do to audit C&Rs today.
The last time I had an audit for my FFL (which was after being in business for 8 years mind you) the investigator told me that his office, which covers half of our state had not visited a C&R in about 15 years. Before that they were only supposed to visit 3 per year.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-20-2020, 08:42 PM   #58
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I no longer have a C&R but did at one time.. I have a good relationship with the FFL who I use, and they are only about a couple of minutes drive from my house.

But, when I did have my C&R, I was audited by the ATF within the first 6 months. So never say never.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #59
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
And what is "are you a kid" supposed to mean?

My general impression of this forum is it's clique, a bunch of good old boys who spend all day putting "likes" on their friend's posts.

Look around you, folks! Wake up. The gun collecting world is full of grey haired folks. Some day you will have no one to sell your Parkers to. Being condescending doesn't help.

I seriously doubt I'll renew my "Parker Pages". Now that Parkers have become more affordable for middle class folks, like me, I thought I would develop an interest in them.

I think I'll see if I can purchase my friend's GHE and maybe I succeed, maybe I don't. And then call it a day.

This group of Parker collectors is just way too snooty for me. I'll stick to my smoke filled American Legions and VFWs where I fit in, once social distancing ends. I'll be sure to wave as you pass by in your Rolls on the way to the country club.
Ian, in my humble opinion you are laboring under a misconception. I have been around this group almost from the beginning. There is a mix of fairly successful folks, and commoners like me. This is not about your station in life. This group has a common interest in guns in general, and Parkers in particular. The typical vehicle will be a well used pickup truck, or an SUV, not a Roll Royce.
We welcome newcomers, and offer guidance and knowledge freely. I'm sorry to hear that you got the wrong impression. This is fixable, or at least should be.
First. Understand you are in the midst of a very down to earth group. Don't make sweeping generalizations about a group this large.
Pull back, buy your Parker if it works for you, and ask questions based on the quest for knowledge. You won't be disappointed.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #60
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Ian, good luck on your purchase. Parkers and this forum are great. While I am significantly on the young end of our forum's age spectrum, I have been able to have a membership to CCA, WCA, and this forum. Even made it to the CCA convention in Dallas last fall. I enjoy collecting the others and actually have more Colts and Winnies than I do Parkers, but this is the only association I have put in for a lifetime membership on. I haven't purchased a parker in close to a year, but I am happy with my 4. This is a great forum with tremendous knowledge and is very friendly. Some members get a little more defensive than others about postings but it is a good crew. I find it far more engaging than winchester collectors forum.

I encourage you to find that parker and buy it if it interests you. I purchased a nice VH 7 or so years back that has turned into 2 DHs, a CH, and a CHE I dearly love each of. All 12 gauges.....ok technically one is a 10 ga with a 12 ga barrel added at the factory
Fine guns and I am more than happy with them. Not a boat anchor in the bunch. I have shot a multitude of brownings, Remington, and winchester shotguns over the years and not a one including A5s, 21s, superposeds, model 12s, 870s, 1100s, or whatever else I have fired have matched the shootability of my parkers. I heartily encourage you to try it out if you have the interest.

One point you may be missing is that the E on your GHE adds a pretty good premium for MOST buyers. Personally ejectors vs extractors doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me.

General advice is to buy the best parker you can afford. It took a bit to get me to understand that and stop buying whatever junker parker I could find or easily afford. They just eventually pass down the road and are more of a pain to sell.

Again, this thread has riled and ruffled some feathers on both sides. But if you stick around you will find we are a pretty amiable bunch.

Regarding premiums for age....I would not pay a premium for a pre 1899 parker. It's a nice bonus on an internet buy, but nothing quality wise....Now I might pay a premium for a 3 dog DH or CH but that is another matter.