Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #31
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Eastern coyotes are a different critter than their western counterpart. They do not respond to calls like they do in the west. A sportsman's club in western PA has a big coyote hunt/competition every year. The first year the prize money reached a sizable sum ($15k) competitors came from many western states. They assumed that because they know how to hunt coyotes out west that they were a shoe-in for the money. Results, not one western competitor killed a coyote. Most years the winners are those that run them with hounds.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've heard random stories here and there about incidents involving 70 lb crossbreeds as well, Dean. Also, my darling bride says you're spot-on with your size estimate so far as what she recalls growing up in SD. (35-45lbs)

The Coyote must have much more to gain than what the Wolf does by breeding w/a Coyote, I would think. Not good considering how successful Coyotes are at living so close to man.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #33
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

The coyotes in New England picked up there wolf genes while migrating from the Midwest to New England over 100 yeas ago from wolves in Canada. There is no wolf population here for them to breed with since. That is not to say that an occasional wolf could disperse from Quebec, but we have no breeding population of wolves. That is why the coyotes were able to gain a foothold in the region. No canine competition. The whole coyote discussion is a fascinating one filled with misnomers and rumors, such as the "coy-dog" myth that was popular in the 1960's. Like it or not they are here to stay so we need to learn to live with them.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #34
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

I am sure all of the residents of the UP of Michigan would be more then happy to reintroduce the wolf to New England area (like the Gov. did to the UP) You know they would probably be willing to pay for "shipping"................ Maybe ship them to NY close to the city, then maybe we could see how all the PETA and USHS people would feel...! Sorry sore point........
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

What the HE77 do we need wolves for Eric, when we have enough trouble with large coyotes?...

Sorry... raw nerve.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #36
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good info Steve - My wife and I visit the Pacific Northwest somewhat frequently. Eastern WA close to the Idaho border and north of Spokane. Apparently there was an effort to re-introduce (or strengthen) a few wolf packs in the northern-most region of that area about ten yrs ago. The wolves have since thrived and they're now shot on site by the locals who lose livestock regularly. The packs are moving south and I think there is now a formal plan to destroy a particular pack altogether - sad it has to come to that. Sorry for the hijack Gary - serious critters are of interest to me b/c we'll end up out there smack dab in Griz, Cat, Wolf territory for good at some point. Makes a fella very concerned about his dog not to mention concern due to time spent along a river w/fly rod in hand. Conventional wisdom (from the locals) says one should avoid the Elk movements and chances of a dangerous encounter are reduced significantly. Plenty of coyotes out there as well. I've never heard a whisper about coyotes and wolves interbreeding but that's not to say it doesn't occur.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #37
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Five years ago, in early winter, a coyote killed our Jack Russel cross in our driveway. I mentioned it in a post at the time on this site. My labs and I chased the coyote until he dropped it and took off. Shyster was dead when I got to him. My wife loved that little dog and cried darn near non stop for about a week. She's border line anti-hunting, but since then if it leads to dead coyotes she's all for it.
Lots of coyotes, wolves, and bear near the house up here. Quite a few of my neighbors have lost dogs and livestock, mostly to wolves. Some have lost several dogs. One not too far from us kicked his door open and shot 2 wolves as they were dragging his dog down the steps of his porch. The municipal district still pays a $200 bounty for each wolf trapped or shot.
Here is a story of a young lady that was killed by a couple of coyotes in eastern Canada. There has been at least one more attack in that park since then.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...reton-1.779304
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #38
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
What the HE77 do we need wolves for Eric, when we have enough trouble with large coyotes?...

Sorry... raw nerve.

I figure with all the Anti's, and tree huggers you have, they would love to have the chance to see a real life wolf...
Like I said the people in the UP don't have a lot of money but I know they will take up donations to pay the shipping costs..........!
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #39
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
I am sure all of the residents of the UP of Michigan would be more then happy to reintroduce the wolf to New England area (like the Gov. did to the UP) You know they would probably be willing to pay for "shipping"................ Maybe ship them to NY close to the city, then maybe we could see how all the PETA and USHS people would feel...! Sorry sore point........
Eric, when i was on the NH Fish and Game Commission we were faced with the possibility that the Feds were looking at the re-introduction of wolves to Northern Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. We passed a resolution as being against this effort of an artificial re-introduction of wolves to New Hampshire. The federal effort soon died. Thank the lord.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #40
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

A friend saw one trotting along side his truck one night about two years ago. He says there is no doubt what it was. Shortly after another friend killed one in his pasture as it was chasing his horse. This one was confirmed to be a wolf. This happened near Acworth, Georgia. I have heard that some were stocked in the Blue Ridge mountains prior to this. Plenty of coyotes in my area. They are rough on calves and goats. They will dig up buried cows and feed until there is nothing left. I have seen them go as deep as four feet to get to the cows. This is a prime place to kill them. KILL THEM ALL. Gerald

PS. Though some say no there are also lions here .
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post: