Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

OK, the "grade" is stamped on the water table. Both the "H" and the "E" are implied and not stamped there because you know by looking at the gun, if it has hammer then no "H" and if it has "Extractors" then no "E" either.

Have you looked at the "Parker Identification" link found on the left side of the main web page at www.parkerguns.org? When you look on those pages you need to know that the pictures will enlarge for you when you mouse click on them.

Check out the other links found on the main page too, they should answer most of your questions.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Sam Hershfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks
Sam Hershfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,564 Times in 3,112 Posts

Sam, have you figured out whether you have a Trojan or V grade yet?
Your first post led me to believe you thought you had a Trojan, but you referenced a stamped 'V' which would be a VH grade with Vulcan steel barrels. What does the top rib say?

When the Trojan was introduced, several manufacturing steps were eliminated, reducing it's cost to produce. Whether rightly or not, the Trojan has been deemed by many as an inferior gun to the V grade, when in actual fact, it's overall quality was every bit as good, just lacking certain features. As higher grades escalated in selling price, the here to for Trojan began to attract more attention, firstly because of affordability. I think you will find that only the people into Parkers as an investment still think of Trojans that way.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Sam Hershfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for getting back! I've ultimately figured out I've got a V, not a Trojan. But I'm still muddy on the difference between a V and VH. I've seen water tables stamped VH but mine's only V. Mine's got no ejectors so it doesn't have an E. It's a 12 with 28" bbls in very nice shape, SN 170065. Just didn't want to think I paid too much ($1150). I probably paid what it's worth...whew! My first Parker.
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,564 Times in 3,112 Posts

Earlier guns were marked simply V, but I don't know when they began stamping VH. They are, none the less, the same. You probably didn't pay too much, if not a good deal. There are still lots of good condition V grade guns, but finding a clean Trojan is more difficult as they were often the one-gun man's working tool.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Sam Hershfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

So, a V is exactly the same as a VH, just older? Thanks
Unread 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,844 Times in 2,364 Posts

Yes. My Father's 1902-vintage VH-Grade is stamped V above the serial number on the left watertable. The 1930-vintage VH-Grade my Wife gave me for my 55th birthday is stamped VH above the serial number on the left watertable and V below the serial number. A higher grade gun of that vintage would have had the Quality number below the serial number.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,297 Times in 12,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
The 1930-vintage VH-Grade my Wife gave me for my 55th birthday is stamped VH above the serial number on the left watertable and V below the serial number.
That's very interesting Dave - I haven't seen one stamped like that.

Not to confuse anyone but, at a small gun show a few years ago an uninformed seller had a 'rode hard and put away wet' VH marked simply with a "V" and he was trying to sell it misrepresented as a grade 5... the "V he explained was the Roman numeral for 5...
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"v", "vh", grades