Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #21
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,941 Times in 361 Posts

The subject Parker arrived 2nd Day Air, and was delivered to Thornton, Co. late Friday. However, it was too late in the day for me to travel and secure it. Today I was on the road at 8:00am to finish the deal. It was still company sealed in a hard case when they presented me the shotgun in the Library. My first hands on inspection revealed no negative surprises. Whew! The positive items of note were that there is much more case color present than I had anticipated and the extremely well fitted recoil pad is marked "Frey Mershon Inc." at the top and "Pat. Ped." & "L.A. CAL." at the bottom, a period correct pad. The furniture is well preserved with minimal marks of note, while the blueing is also very nice, deep and consistent. The bores are immaculate. The grip cap reads "Parker Bros Meridan, Conn."
Somehow one of the ejection hammers was sprung and I recocked it when I got home. The forend fits vey tight when it snaps in.
Once home I measured the bores at the muzzle with a mic and determined the Right Bore measured .650 for a constriction of .012 (Between Skeet II & Mod.) and the Left Bore measured .635 for constriction of .027 (Full Choke). Probably not the correct way to measure but I am curious by nature.
The length of pull is right at 14" while the drop at the heel was 2.25", measured from the top of the barrel, not the top of the ventilated rib. Here again not terribly scientific but when I shoulder it my eye lines up perfectly down the rib to the front bead. There is a tiny ivory mid bead but I can't really even see it.
I have to wonder when the shotgun was ordered with all of the splendid special order features just what was the intended purpose? With the 30" barrels and a ventilated rib perhaps a mild recoiling trap gun is what he/she had in mind. A 1938 gun with production details on IBM cards no doubt won't reveal much but I intend to order one anyway.
So, it was a fine day and I appreciate the feedback from the experienced folks on the forum.

Last edited by Bruce P Bruner; 02-20-2021 at 05:45 PM..
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #22
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

What did you eat for Breakfast that day???? Timing is 'everything'!
Absolutely beautiful Parker and one of the best finds I have ever heard of. I disagree with Dean Romig....4x the price!!
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

congratulations on a very nice buy. Typical of Cabela's either they are way over priced or under valued. Their customary mark up is 30% so someone let it go for around $1400.
Is there a slight crack in the forearm between the latch and the receiver? It's hard to tell from the picture, it might just be a checkering line.
Unread 02-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #24
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes C.O. B. you are correct. I'm not sure if it affects the ability to shoot it. I don't have the skill set to repair it but Mr. Bachelder has done stock work for me in the past with super human results. You have to be very patient though, quality work is slow and with his back log it's difficult to know when I'd get it back. I really want to shoot some clay's with it, maybe just a few to get the feel of the gun. The gun locks up vault tight and has no play in the head. The forearm is very tight fitting when locked in place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I wouldn't shoot it until that crack is stabilized. Where do you live? There is a VERY competent smith near me that could easily and quickly fix that.
Unread 02-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

Wendy Jo Guernsey send me an apologetic email from Cabela's thanking me for my business. She regrets that the gun I offered to purchase was sold. Oh, well.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #27
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wendy Jo Guernsey sent me an email also, with the tracking number and thanked me for my business. She did an excellent job of packaging the shotgun with the gun disassembled and each piece double bubble wrapped in a hard case per my request.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Photos:
Unread 02-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #28
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Photos:

[IMG]screen shot windows 7[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Photos:
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #29
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Photos:

[IMG][/IMG]
screenshot
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

I called Cabelas and sent a message I'll Take It !!!! But the lady called and said it just sold ! Congratulations on a Great Buy !
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post: