Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Quail Hunting in Maryland, a look back
Unread 02-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Default Quail Hunting in Maryland, a look back

These are some pictures of my second best grouse dog quail hunting in Maryland in the area Bill Murphy and I used to hunt. My current English Setter is a very good bird dog, but I still miss Stoney terribly, as I do all my departed gun dogs. It still hurts a bit to look at the pictures I took of him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stoney quail1.jpg (137.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg retrieve.jpg (175.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stoney6.jpg (157.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg stoney high point.jpg (406.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg stoney low point.jpg (264.3 KB, 4 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,770 Times in 2,351 Posts

Very nice. I have fond memories of Quail hunting in Southern Maryland and on the Eastern Shore back in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beautiful setter! Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Brooks For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

From the mid-1960s through the early 1980s, some of the very best quail hunting on the Delmarva Peninsula could be found on the big farms near the tiny villages of Powellville, Waste Gate and Wango on MD's Eastern Shore and in DE just adjacent to the north-south border with MD in places like Whigville, Chapeltown and Reeves Crossing. In what is now popularly referred to as "The People's Republic of Montgomery County", the village of Boyds and its surrounding farms were one of the most closely guarded quail hunting locations in our area.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,379 Posts

It was 1970 and I was sitting in a deer stand in Dorchester Co., MD waiting for that record breaking whitetail to amble by. But instead a covey of quail walked by in single file.

That was enough to shift my focus to to Mr. Bob White.

Back then I had access to numerous farms in Dorchester Co. to hunt deer and waterfowl but these farms had a bonus of Colinus Virginianus.

It's a really long story but a WWll bomber pilot had an English pointer who had heartworm disease and was going to put him down. I took him, treated him for the disease, then hunted him for 12 years. The veterinerian who treated him and cured him, became a lifelong friend and hunting partner.

We hunted quail for years until they dissapeared never taking more than 4 birds from a covey.

Seems like so long ago but so many great memories.

Thanks for the thread Tom.
East of Cambridge
Unread 02-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default East of Cambridge

In the 80s we hunted a lot of farms east of Rte.50 along Rte.16 east and points south. Secretary, Hurlock, Eldorado and the entire area. Wonderful memories of Brittanies with the intense points which only a covey of wild quail can trigger!! Little did I fully realize how good I had it back then!
Tom, Stoney was quite a beautiful dog!

Last edited by Joe Dreisch; 02-11-2021 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: additional thought
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Sometimes it's hard to believe how quickly quail hunting bottomed out in the Mid-Atlantic and South. "My" quail in peninsular Virginia were showing signs of decline even back in the 1970s, but we still found birds on paper company lands in the Piedmont into the late 1980s. It's nice to remember how it was.

Progress giveth, and Progress taketh away.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

When I was in college in southern PA in the late 60's we hunted birds on nearby farms. The primary target was pheasants but we seemed to move as many quall. No dog then but we had no trouble finding them. Pheasants were not overly abundant in that locale but just 60 miles north and it was reversed. Hordes of pheasants and but an occasional covey of quail. Sadly both are gone now and have been for some time. The last of the good pheasant hunting was in the late 70's and no quail could be found.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #9
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Gary, I related in some earlier posts my experiences pheasant hunting in MD just below the PA border in the Silver Run Valley area. This would have been c. 1964 when you could still knock on doors and most people would let you hunt. I don't recall seeing quail in and around the farms we hunted but I'm sure there were some there.

None of us had bird dogs and we started out with some of us using single-shot guns, just walking them up. Between college classes and jobs, we would go whenever we got the chance. I remember one early morning after a substantial snowfall of a couple of feet, getting my car stuck trying to power through a snowdrift near Woodbine MD just below Westminster. Lucky for us, a friendly farmer fired up his tractor and pulled us out so we could continue the hunt. In those days, big roosters were everywhere in that area, and it was rare that we came home without at least one. Nowadays, when a cockbird is seen crossing the road, cars pull over so people can take pictures with their cellphones, like buffalos in Yellowstone. Hard to believe they are now mostly all gone.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I lived for twenty three years in the area Kevin refers to. I only saw two pheasants in all that time. I was hunting with Jeff Mulliken and we got one of them. Jeff’s yellow lab Luke grabbed the pheasant for the retrieve and Stoney the English setter, not to be outdone, grabbed the bird also and they came back to us with both dogs holding on to the pheasant. Jeff and I laughed like hell. I wish I had a picture of it.

My hunting as a kid was mostly out my back door for grouse. I was lucky in that I had my grandfather’s VH 20 bore for the grouse and woodcock. But at times my mother would drop me off a couple of miles away for pheasants. There were large numbers of pheasants which I would take with my grandfather’s 12 bore DHE. The land, being a large estate, was never developed to this day. There are still many wild pheasants but nowhere near the numbers when I was a kid.

Three pictures….one of Jeff and I hunting quail and another of my childhood back porch. The other picture is of me planting sorghum for the pheasants. We manage the property closely to ensure good pheasant feed and cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tractor.jpg (510.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg grouse on back porch.jpg (60.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg jeff_luke.jpg (539.9 KB, 3 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote