Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Red Head pad
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Dick Miller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Red Head pad

Those of you who know me know that my forte' is L C's, so I pose this question for those who would know.
Today I purchased a VH 12 at a yard sale that I couldn't pass up because of the condition . It's a 1906 gun and is in the serialization book as configured. However, it sports a Red Head pad that the wear is consistent with the rest of the gun. Could this pad, given the age of the gun, be correct, and if not, whose pad would have been correct? This is a "family" gun, and the former owner has had it in his possession for 45 years since he inherited it from his grandfather.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Dick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Donnie Reels
Forum Associate

Member Info

If the gun is a 1906 then it will have a Silvers on it. Good luck with her. Donnie
Donnie Reels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

It is my understanding that a Silvers pad would be correct on a higher grade gun but a Readhead is correct on that gun
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

Dick: if it look like this, it is MUCH later than 1906. I've been trying to run down Patent # 105858 without success.
Researcher will likely let us know when the pad first appeared in Stoeger catalogs

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

In 99 chances out of 100, a hard rubber buttplate would have been original. After examining thousands of Parker Brothers records, I have not seen a Red Head recoil pad specified on an order. Sorry. In 1906, the Silvers would have been the only possibility for an original recoil pad.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Dick Miller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to all who have replied to date. The pad on the gun looks exactly like the one Drew posted, so it seems that it was replaced at some time. The LOP over the pad is correct, and whomever fitted it did a great job. If I close my eyes and run my finger along the edge of the wood I can't feel where the wood ends and the spacer starts !
Bill, one of the highly-respected members of the PGCA told me today that, of all the Parkers that he owns and has factory pads that none of the letters indicate pads in the letters.
Dick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Dick: how about a few pictures of your new prize??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
RECOIL PAD
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default RECOIL PAD

I have attached the earliest reference so far found for a Parker pad fitting. It appears quite routine and many pads had probably been fitted prior to this one.
Silvers was the first known pad maker and probably accounts for most pads fitted before an American maker. There are other Order Book notes that include "fit his pad".without specifying make.
We should remember that the Mershon/Pachmayer White Line Pad was very popular from 1940 - 1980. Invincible 200000 and several other high grade Parkers are shown with White Line pads in pre 1980 photos.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SILVERS BUTTdoc.jpg (333.1 KB, 3 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Miller View Post
Thanks to all who have replied to date. The pad on the gun looks exactly like the one Drew posted, so it seems that it was replaced at some time. The LOP over the pad is correct, and whomever fitted it did a great job. If I close my eyes and run my finger along the edge of the wood I can't feel where the wood ends and the spacer starts !
Bill, one of the highly-respected members of the PGCA told me today that, of all the Parkers that he owns and has factory pads that none of the letters indicate pads in the letters.

Dick,
I think there are many records that reference a factory installed pad. Here is an example.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheltr.JPG (200.5 KB, 3 views)
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

Dick, your friend probably has a collection of guns made after 1919, when any reference to a pad would not be available for research. Original pads would have been mentioned in order book entries, but such entries ended in 1919. By the way, how does your friend determine that the pads on his guns are original?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote