Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Economic Stimulus
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Economic Stimulus

As we all know to well the economy of our great nation is in the toilet and the handel is about to be pushed sending us further into a state of disrepair.

As American gun owners we can and should do all we can by buying more guns...we might need them later to defend what we own How do we accomplish this what with declining 401K's, job loss, reduced market value of our homes and a weakening dollar? I have studied the art of buying guns with O.P.M, Other Peoples Money and it's really quite simple and effective.

Trade that Dh 12 for a light VH 20. You will benefit several ways. A) The 20 will be lighter so when you making your way back to the truck after a long day in the field and that Rooster Pheasant or Grouse rockets away you won't be to tired to bring the gun up and put dinner on the table. B) As the 20 is lighter you will hunt longer therefor getting more excersise and reduce the chance of heart attack and stroke. C) The 20 will appreciate faster than a 12 in all likelyhood.

Take some of the equity in your home (while you still have some) and purchase that nice VHE 28 or a high grade 12 that youve lusted after but never thought you could afford. All this providing you can make the equity loan payments of which the interest is deductible. That money is just sitting there making nothing, put some to good use and enjoy the gun. You'll like it and our economy benefits. Tell the wife your doing it for the good of the country.

I get several 0% credit card offers in the mail each month and I throw them away...untill I find something I need/ want. A nice DHE 20 came my way using this method recently. The offer was 0% for 21 months. I take the ballance and divide it by 18 and the debt is paid for early. This boosts my credit rateing, gets me the gun now, stimulates the economy and the payments are spread over a comfortable time frame.

Think out of the box. I once had a GSP bred and the puppies helped fund a trip to Alaska. Gunner is a result of that effort and he has been a wonderfull companion for 14 years. I have also sold my blood to help fund a gun purchase. It took only a couple of hours early in the am 2x/week and gave me an extra couple hundred dollars a month which paid the home equity loan. My net out of pocket expense for that gun was $0.00.

My wife tells me I have to much "stuff" but IMHO all my stuff is valuable. We all have stuff that we arn't using. Reposition that stuff into a nice Parker, Winchester, L.C. Smith or a piece of Antique furniture if you so desire. Sell the coin collection, old shell boxes a limited edition book that you have already read twice and put those funds back into circulation.

I have robbed Peter to pay Paul then mugged Paul to put the desired item into my posession and never regretted it. Once you get the feel of buying your treasured item using the O.P.M. method the rest as they say is history.

Good luck, the country thanks you. Let me know how that new 20 works out for you.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Rich is correct. I have bought some of my best guns when I had no money.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Using OPM is how we got in this mess. That's why our ObamaBushbucks ain't worth $hit.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Maybe its just me, but these Parkers are want items, not need, and I would never go in debt, not even credit card debt, to buy a want item. I bought a gun once that was more than the cash I had on hand and had to draw down a money market account, and was uneasy until I replaced the account money.

I started with my grandfather's Mod 1912 12ga and his PHE 16, it got him through and still today they get me through, and everything else is pure discretionary income and I don't like debt of any kind. I don't even buy cars with loans.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good for you, Bruce. Others not so fortunate have to find other ways
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Its not an issue of being fortunate, more like being cautious and frugal. Maybe I have some nice things now because I never went into debt. I have friends who are bankers and I'll buy them lunch but regardless of how nice a person they are, I don't want to buy them new office buildings. My newest vehicle is a 94 and I figure its got another 250,000 miles in it. I bought one new car on payments once and it taught me a lesson what with the monthly payments and paying almost 50% more again for the interest by the time you finish. Yes, I know its not the American way, but its what has pushed us into this position as a country and as individuals. Debt is like a sword hanging over your head.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

As Clint Eastwood said "A mans got to know his limitations" and I have never missed a payment of any kind in my life. A money mkt account paying less than 1% vs an appreciating asset like a Parker IMHO is a no brainer. The gun will outperform the money mkt. For me I like my new DHE 20 and the 20mos or so of payments I can handle. The net cost was $160 in fees. I can't hunt birds in the fall with a money mkt account.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.
We must make our election between economy and liberty
or profusion and servitude.
If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and
in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and
our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...we will have no time to think,
no means of calling our miss-managers to account
but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves
to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers...
And this is the tendency of all human governments.
A departure from principle in one instance
becomes a precedent for another
till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery.
And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt.
Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression."

Thomas Jefferson

What would TJ think of the USA today?
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Rich, you are a braver man than me, but then you have 2 or 3 times the handful of Parkers I own.

I guess I can hunt birds in the fall with grandfather's old P, and I have a few others to boot. I even have a small selection now and I need to figure out a way that I can use more than one at a time.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero- 55 BC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Rich, you are a braver man than me, but then you have 2 or 3 times the handful of Parkers I own.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero- 55 BC
The above has been embellished, what Cicero actually said was:

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall."

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/cicero-plan.htm
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote