Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Barrel for my 1908 vh stock
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Richard Sheldon
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrel for my 1908 vh stock

I have a parker stock with receiver but no barrel or forestock. My father, back long, long ago, sent the barrel back to the parker factory to get reblued but never got it back because they went out of buisiness.
My questions are:
How can I tell what gauge it is.
can I purchase a barrel and forestock.
Is it better to buy a complete gun and keep this for parts.

The stock is a little beat up with a small split, receiver has mild surface rust but should clean up nice.
I've allways wanted a parker and would like to get what I have useable. (And it was my dads when he was a kid) that means a lot to me.
Any help would be appriciated.
Richard Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

What is the serial number, maybe it is in "the book" and we can get the gauge and barrel length for you?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Richard Sheldon
Forum Associate

Member Info

147352 thanks
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard

147352 is listed as being a 16 gauge with 28'' barrels.

Cheers
Marcus
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Richard,

I think the frame size which is stamped into the recoil lug of your missing barrels is the most important information. Barrels of different gauges can be fitted to a receiver as long as they are the same frame size.

The frame size can be determined by measuring between the center of the firing pin holes of the receiver.

Please do that and post the distance.

I write this because the 16 bore guns are in the highest demand and a spare set of 16 gauge barrels may be almost impossible to find a a reasonable price. If the gun is a 0 frame a set of 20 gauges barrels if you can find them might fit. Alternatively, if the gun is a 1 frame it a set of 12 gauge barrels may be found.

I do however think the forend of the correct frame size will be the hardest to find. Your receiver is the base of a V Grade gun which other than the Trojan model was the bottom grade. It may be the cheapest route to purchase another well used V or Trojan grade of the same frame size and transfer the parts.

Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Richard Sheldon
Forum Associate

Member Info

left firing pin to right firing pin is exectly 1"
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Richard,

The Parker Story lists that a size 0 frame is 1" between the firing pins. Those were provided on 16 and 20 gauge guns. Presently the 16's seem to be in very high demand and thus command a high price. The 20's do not lag behind the 16's by much. I have a DHE 20 and would pay good money for another set of barrels. I would pay a lot more for a set of 16 gauge barrels that could be fitted to my 0 frame.

I provided the above to let you know what you are up against. There are probably a few hundred other Parker collectors that would be as or more agressive than me in finding extra barrels. "With a double gun one is buying the barrels."

Please keep the remains of your father's gun. It might be good to consider purchasing a relatively low cost ($800 to $1600) V Grade 12 gauge and enjoy that in memory of your father!

Respectfully,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Richard,
You never know what’s available or at what cost until you ask. By replacing the barrels and forend you will put back in service a gun that has sentimental value to you and would make a great shooter but will never have any collector value. If it were me I would list the parts you need here and on the Doublegun BBS and see what’s available. If you can't locate any original barrels you could check out the offerings by Connecticut Shotgun and Simmons. Good luck with your search and I can say from experience an 0 frame 16 gage Parker makes a really nice upland gun.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

I agree with Larry. If you are serious about putting this gun back into service I think the easiest way would be to order a set of barrels from Ct Shotgun.
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Richard Sheldon
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks for the info, I'm learning as I go,
I don't mind putting the money into it, but I don't want to spend 3000.00 when I could have puchased something nicer (complete gun) for less.
I don't know why but I think I i'd rather have a 16 or 20 gauge over a 12 gauge.
I will weigh the options , but a usable parker is my goal.